• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WCHA early departures

cbrooks

I have been guilty of being pretty selfish when the great college players decide to leave early. With the programs that are a little smaller like Duluth, St Cloud, Bemidji, etc it's even easier to do because you don't get these types of players every year like you often do with a program like UM, Wisconsin, DU, and UND.

I absolutely wish Mike Connolly nothing but the VERY best as he transitions to his pro career. He was undrafted, worked HIS BUTT off for Duluth, was the cornerstone for a national title, and earned a great pro contract. I have good memories of Mike in years past, but this year he was the rock of the team. He played 2-way every shift out there and did a lot of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. I have a feeling we may now see Faulk, JConn, and possibly Brady Lamb leave for the pros. I will have the same sentiments to those guys if they do choose to leave, Good Luck fellas! Of course we'd love to have you back.

Here's a couple of Youtube clips of Mike from this year. There were two more I wanted to add from highlights, but they aren't on Youtube. One I posted earlier this season was the behind the back feed to Fonzi on the Sioux win 11/6 in GF.. And the one I really wish someone had posted was his goal against Yale in the Region Finals. He takes the pass down low on a breakway, shoots it over goalies shoulder, blasts the Dman onto his butt, and gives him the staredown. Classic.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey UMD fans at lease you got a NC out of these guys before they left, it sucks but they couldn't be leaving on better terms.

jellio

True Canadian jrs often get guys for 4 years but they are also much younger in the 16 to 20 range then the college players. They have a smart rule in place that says 20 or younger and they either make the nhl club or have to stay in jrs, no ahl to dilute their league. In the ncaa we are dealing with older players and have no form of protection so the nhl teams do what they will, it sucks but as I always say I would rather have a stud for one or two years then not have them at all. It can hurt your team at times when a player bolts but those are the guys who can often push you over the top come playoff time.

Why do Canadian players come to play in the NCAA here in the states....because they can leave early. If they play in Canada they have to stay for 4 years. As a player it makes sense as a fan it stinks. The big problem for the WCHA is the NHL pretty much pulls the strings on them....they would love to make a rule for a mandatory 4 years but that doesn't sit well with the NHL and if they did that the NHL would not allow players to go to D1 schools. It would have to be an NCAA thing in order for anyone to even consider it.

I feel your pain jellio but like Bear said atleast you got a championship out of him. I also think the NCAA shouldn't make it a rule even though the teams in the WCHA has such a high turn over to the NHL or AHL. I'm just waiting to see what UND's damage will be this off season. I'm pretty sure on three early departure and maybe a fourth. It always fun to watch them progress in the pros. I'm always a fan of all the former WCHA players in the NHL.

The NC$$ should really get off their high horse and allow these players to attend NHL camps. Structure it just like the CHL, if the player makes his NHL team I will gladly say goodbye, if they don't let them come back and play NCAA hockey. This might be a mess with school but I would think they could work something out online while a kid is trying to make the team and juggle school work.

You give up your NCAA eligibility either way, right? Or is that what you are questioning the logic of?

I don't like it either. It's a reality everyone has to deal with, losing good players to the pros early. Once they added the Cap, and restructured salaries those college players become efficient sources of talent for NHL teams. So they take them early. Sometimes far too early for the players own devolpment.

Agree wholeheartedly about these Duluth guy(s) leaving on the best terms possible. I'm keeping positive this offseason.

I'm not 100% sure where I was going with that but for sure questioning the logic of the NCAA.

Yes an NCAA guy would lose his eligibility if he went to an NHL camp, they can attend NHL summer camps but have to pay their own way. Which is even more stupid because the NCAA won't allow scholarship students to get a job during the school year.

You would think if those dumb Canadians wink can figure out a way to keep their young talent in the CHL some of these "college educated" NCAA guys could do the same. Lucia sick has always said that if a guy was ready he should go pro, but if you are just going to spend your time in the AHL like most of them do why not stay in school and get an education and who knows maybe even win a title or learn how to be a team leader.

but if you are just going to spend your time in the AHL like most of them do why not stay in school and get an education and who knows maybe even win a title or learn how to be a team leader.

Exactly. How many guys make the jump and even get back to the NHL within say 24 months? Some certainly: your Parise's, Toew's, Kessel's, and Vanek's. But 90% will take years and years to get back, if they do make it at all.

If you're undrafted and get your chance, I think you take it. You might have an injury your senior year and never see the $ you've worked so hard to get to. If you're drafted high and you're deveoloping at a good clip, I don't see the rush.

I saw the $$ Mike Connoly is getting.....not enough to retire on or even buy a nice house with the signing bonus and unless he's in the NHL in the next two seasons (which I doubt) he'll be making 67500.00 in the minors for the next two years....IMO getting a college degree for free is worth more than that in 10-20 years. Chasing a dream I guess and I hope he is in an NHL jersey sooner rather than later.

I have to agree. Unless you're a sure bet, that degree is a must. I don' think these kids understand how much that degree is worth compared to that $67000.

Now, if he's undrafted and older and can go into the NHL with a $2-3mil first year contract, then yes, go for it just like DaCosta did. I just think that these kids are listening to all the wrong people when they make these decisions.

Another factor why some might make the leap to the pros is the fear of injury that could end there hockey career. i know alot of them get insured for this but there is even a max on that if I remember right.

I say if you can get the maxium contract for a rookie...you go and play. think about it if your offered the max when your a Jr in college and decide to go back to school. End up getting a concussion or some other fluky injury your stock drops for being an prospect. The younger you get a contract the more chances you get also... so time doesn't wait for some of these guys.

Now, if he's undrafted and older and can go into the NHL with a $2-3mil first year contract, then yes, go for it just like DaCosta did.

I might be wrong but even those guys have to make the team to collect any of that money outside a signing bonus. Sometimes I think those larger contracts can hurt their chances unless they force their way on the team. For example I remember Blake Wheeler kind of surprising everyone when he played great and made the B's. There was talk that he might be a casualty of his own contract because they didn't have enough cap space for him. It ended up working out but I think Boston had to shift some guys around.

For a guy like connelley. He is just flat out ready for the next step. The ahl plays at a way higher level then college. Its not even close. Conneley is done developing at the college level. He stays another year and he will slow his development down. He is ready to take a shot at the show. What's he gonna do....play his senior year and score 8 goals against the gophs.....

Some guys are just flat out ready for new challenges. He is a hockey player then a student, not the other way around.

The ones I don't like are leaving after your freshman year. Is bjugstead ready, not even close. Who is gonna leave the sioux this year. I don't tink kristo is even cose, I don't think knight could either. But I'm sure there are a few junios that would evelop better.

] Who is gonna leave the sioux this year. I don't tink kristo is even cose, I don't think knight could either. But I'm sure there are a few junios that would evelop better.

Probable are ben Blood, Jason Gregiore, and Brett Hextall

Maybe Danny Kristo

Rumors are saying Kristo is staying another year.

I was a little surprise that the Coyotes came out and said they are pursuing Brett Hexstal. I didn't think he's NHL ready but the experts seem to think he is.

Speaking of Coyotes...sounds like that franchise is moving back to Winnipeg. Remember when they were the Jets. Well nothing is for sure yet.

Its hard to pass up $270k signing bonus when your 19 and you just won the frozen 4. Good luck. The kids needs some work, that is for sure. I think all the worst turnovers I saw in the tourny ere faulk. He's got potential and room to improve though. I think he gets a few games in the show next year.

He's gone....one and done players suck. As I mentioned in another post he's been off my radar screen for some time at least MConn stayed for 3 years. I'll cheer for local/undrafted guys and guys who stay and play for 4 years over a one/two year player any day. I'd be willing to bet Justin Faulk could have cared less about UmD and it's fans and I'll say the same about other guys who leave early as well. JMHO of course.

I'll cheer for local/undrafted guys and guys who stay and play for 4 years over a one/two year player any day. I'd be willing to bet Justin Faulk could have cared less about UmD and it's fans and I'll say the same about other guys who leave early as well. JMHO of course.

It's a lot cooler when those 3 and 4 year players turn into all WCHA or All Americas. As a Gopher fan we are longing for the days when the 1 and 2 year players were good enough to go pro instead of leaving because their development has stalled.

It's hard to fault a kid for chasing a dream in the NHL, as fans it's just hard to watch, especially when so few of them actually make it.

In Justin Faulks case, i wouldn't think going pro would be any good for him if he just played in the AHL. If he actually gets reps in the NHL then maybe it was his time to move up. I have a feeling they send him down to the AHL. IMO Ithink atleast another year of college would do him good. College is a good time to mature mentally and pyshically before making the professional step.

I might be wrong but even those guys have to make the team to collect any of that money outside a signing bonus. Sometimes I think those larger contracts can hurt their chances unless they force their way on the team. For example I remember Blake Wheeler kind of surprising everyone when he played great and made the B's. There was talk that he might be a casualty of his own contract because they didn't have enough cap space for him. It ended up working out but I think Boston had to shift some guys around.

Matt Read signed a 3 year one way contract for 2.7 million with the Flyers after he finished his senior season. That is guaranteed money whether he plays in the AHL or NHL. I don't know about most... but some still get the one way deals.

Good luck to Faulk too. Of course he had room to improve yet in college as he's only a Freshie. Rumors had been flying all year about him leaving, and it's absolutely no surprise that he left. I think I posted 3 or 4 times earlier that I thought he was gonna leave after this year.

Like it or not, he was a big part of our team this year. Yeah he did make somm turn overs, but more often than not he would correct his mistake and get the puck back. He logged a lot of minutes, had a blast of a one timer, and showed a lot of poise for a freshman on our 1st Dline. Best blueliner I've seen come to Duluth since I started watching 18 years ago. Really would have been something given another year or two. I think he'll make a splash for Carolina in 2-3 years of further development.

You are right about is bettering his mistakes. It seemed every time he turned the puck over, he came sprawling and crawling out of no where and got it back. Yah, he will be in the show. That kid looked way older then a freshman. He was a muture body and mind back there.

Reid got a heck of a deal with that 1 way. I have no idea how he managed that. Crazy. to pay him that much for 3 years. Seems the undrafted kids are the ones getting the 1 ways.

This could be a brutal off season for UND departure's. Dell is being rumored to have a two year contract offer from Montreal.Not too often he hear a college goaltender being courted by a NHL team. Tough to turn that down also. If UND loses him they have Theif River native Zane Gothberg(Fargo Force)to replace him.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=87797