• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Rules on lure rigs

74mph

What is the rule for fishing a double rig in minnesota? Illegal? Something such as a three way swivel with to lines tied to two jigs, or two swimbaits, or a what about a Jig and a drop shot above it?

Sounds like this is possibly legal for crappie but illegal for bass? Am i getting it right?

What is the rule for fishing a double rig in minnesota? Illegal? Something such as a three way swivel with to lines tied to two jigs, or two swimbaits, or a what about a Jig and a drop shot above it?

Sounds like this is possibly legal for crappie but illegal for bass? Am i getting it right?

crazy

Hiya -

The language around this rule is horribly convoluted, and a constant source of confusion... For example, you can use multiple flies for panfish - how about a bead-head nymph? Is that a fly (in which case two is legal) or a jig (in which case two is not legal)? Large, wide gray area in some cases.

Bottom line, rule of thumb though is you can only use one lure. A drop shot with a jig below it would be two lures, and not legal (unless you're on a border water...).

This via SteveD:

I saw this in the local Stillwater paper and thought I would pass it on. The Minnesota DNR currently is accepting public comment on several permit, tackle and other fishing rule changes. The rule change that caught my eye and interest reads:

Rule changes proposed by the DNR include: Specifying that anglers may use up to three single or multiple hooks on a single line baited with live, artificial or preserved or dead bait provided the distance from the first to last hook is nine inches or less. A configuration such as this is not considered an artificial bait or fly.

This rule change has been in the works for about as long as the bullhead rule change was. The reason I am interested in this is that if approved it will legalize the 2 hook Cat Bait Harness that I use. For those that are not aware of it, the current MN fishing rules do not allow the use of multiple hook rigs when using live bait. Technically the 2 or 3 hook live bait rigs that all the walleye guys use are not legal based on existing rules. All the worm harnesses and minnow harnesses the walleye community uses to drag live bait are not really legal rigs based on the wording of current fishing rules. The MN DNR has long recognized the widespread use of those bait rigs and has implemented a policy of not enforcing the current rules. The language used in this proposed rule change would clean up the fishing regulation and allow the use of multiple hook live bait rigs. I’m hoping this rule change slides through with little, if any, public comment opposition and gets approved. The way it reads now, I could even add a 3rd hook to the cat harness – I’ll have my cat bait looking like a circle hook porcupine.

The latest Bassmaster issue has a rig from KVD that involves 2 flukes on fluoro leaders rigged to a swivel, as if its an everyday rig you could use anywhere. Page 26 if you get this magazine or want to check it out. Funny that the article doesn't mention to check your local regs first.

We must be one of the few states with a single lure restriction? (except for border waters)

Hiya -

To Dtro's re-post: Actually, a crawler harness is legal since it has a spinner blade and is therefore a lure, and lures can have multiple hooks. Same with a quick strike rig for pike or muskies... If it has a (completely superfluous) spinner blade, it's a lure. But you can only use one lure... See what I mean about convoluted? I've harped on the DNR about this in re: quick strike rigs for years.

In the DNR's defense, this rule was on the books to make it harder to use gangs of treble hooks that are blatantly intended for snagging (the infamous "silver spider"), but it does have a lot of unintended consequences.

As far as the double Fluke rig - I've used it in states where it's legal, and wow can it do a number on schooling fish when you skitter it across the surface... Used a lot out West from what I understand.

RK -

Not to nitpick and whatnot (I love when people say this, then nitpick, like I am going to do):

I think the blade only makes it a lure if the blade is within 3 inches of the hooks. What I have not figured out (and err on the side of caution) is if it's within 3" of the first hook, or 3" for all hooks.

WI regs on number of hooks, and leaves the line issue out completely. Unfortunately this rule is convoluted as well... so many people I fish with in WI think it's ok to have 3 lines with trebles.

I've been using stingers for a long time. Until I realized reading the regs that stingers are actually not legal in MN, lest you have that blade up there! That said, nobody has ever indicated this when I pick them up at the local C-store or G-mount.

When doing a catfish rig with two hooks I will put a blade inbetween the two hooks and keep the hooks within 3" of each other - making it legal...at least how i understand it! And...Is it 3" from the knot tied to the hook, or 3" from anywhere on the hook (Can make a big difference when using 10/0 hooks)

Slab -

Yeah, another convolution (I think I just made that word up...) is the 3" deal. I have been told it's 3" from at least one of the hooks. I've been checked both summer and winter and never had a CO measure, or even ask about it, but you never know...

Your last point is the big issue for me - you can readily buy rigs at almost any sporting good store that are illegal without modification - but especially in the case of Quick Strike rigs, they're by far the best for the fishery...

What if I were to fish something like a doubble fluke rig but only have a hook in one of the two baits? Say the rear one because that is the most likley to be eaten? The other one would essentially be there to draw attraction to the bait but if they ate it they would just get off. Any thoughts?

Should be legal. I have been known to use a popper (hooks removed) as a bobber. Put a wacky rig senko under it for the kids. Somedays it's lights out!

A great one for kids is an Adjust-A-Bubble with a little water in it and a wacky-rigged senko type bait under it. My 5 year old clobbered me one day last summer doing it smile

RK,

I hear ya about the kids clobbering fish with the float/senko! It's a good way to keep it entertaining for the kids and still be productive in finding a pattern. My 5 year old daughter was dragging a float with a piece of gulp last summer. Smallies kept hitting the float. Didn't take me long to break out the topwater baits!!