• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Refurbished Heads

I figured I would share a little bit of info I found out this weekend when tearing into my car.

many of you mechanics have seen this:

200393_691423511572_199101806_37460779_6

which leads to removing the head unless you have a camera to look inside. I had a camera and was able to see what was inside after I pulled the plugs. I found out I did indeed have to remove the head.

188338_692193254002_199101806_37473527_5

And found this dandy valve laying in my #2 cyclinder.

200762_691499274742_199101806_37461722_7

After a frustrating night and shopping online I was able to locate a company that refurbishes heads.

I picked up a refurbished head for 270$ (over 600 brand new from Oriley with a discount)

Napa had the head bolts and gasket kit on hand for around 120 total.

Anyway if any of you guys need a cheap place to order a refurbished head. Look up Cylinder Heads International. It comes with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. That right there says they stand by their work.

I ordered on Sunday, and had them call me this morning to verify about a cam shaft sensor. It is being boxed up now and shipped to my door for 20$. Also there is no core charge and they send with it, in a box, a prepaid shipping label.

There is a 200$ core charge IF you do not return the bad head (they do NOT care what is wrong with it) within 30 days.

I thought this was a pretty good deal and would you let you guys that work on cars know. Save everyone a little bit of money when working on cars!

Save everyone a little bit of money when working on cars!

It still would have been a lot cheaper to replace the belt before it broke! Could have saved about $420 not to mention the couple days it will take to do the job. Just the belt would have taking you a Saturday afternoon and about $80?

Just be glad its not a 1.8 turbo. That's an automatic $3000 if the belt breaks!!

I was after my guy to get it done, than he went on Vacation. We are not sure if the valve went, or if the belt went then the valve. Hard to say. I am sure it probably was the belt causing everything. Where it shredded the teeth was an odd place.

couple days? This baby will be worked on Saturday early after noon and running by supper time smile

We put the new belt on in just under 2.0 hours. Turned the crank shaft by hand then to make sure nothing hit. but it did, so then we busted out the camera and saw the valve. Tore the head off in 30 mins or so.

I figure in about 4 hours we should have this all put back together.

Consider yourself lucky. When my 68 vw dropped a valve I was going 65 on US101 southbound near King City, California. No timing belt in that motor. Fortunately you could get 4 cylinders with pistons and pins for $40 (head was cheap too) from claude's buggies of farmersville, ca.

Luckily the valve got jammed before it fell into the crankcase, after making hole in top of piston.

First engine I ever rebuilt.

I sure was lucky. The piston had a good scuff mark but no cyclinder scratchs from it. I think i lucked out. I was idling in a parking lot and it just quit. The timing could of went then. Not sure if its possibble to drop a valve upon trying to turn over the motor or not.

Im also lucky to have a shop to work on it and a buddy who knows his stuff as well. Also a big thanks to scott for lending me some advice as well!

Thanks scott! Watcha doing saturday wink jk

Ordered the head sunday afternoon and they called and verified casting numbers and sensors this am. Scheduled delivery on thursday coming from CT. Pretty fast if you ask me! They also have other shipping options other than ground but you must call. Cant wait to check their work!

Stay tuned

Quote:
This baby will be worked on Saturday early after noon and running by supper time

I have 2 dozen Large Bullheads "delivered" that say that vehicle is NOT running by dinner Saturday!

Pleas post a video and an appropriate control item to verify results.... smile

Also what kind of vehicle/engine is it and how do you punch someone in the face that lives on the EAST coast if the head is cracked or bad once it's back together?....

grin

I have 2 dozen Large Bullheads "delivered" that say that vehicle is NOT running by dinner Saturday!

Pleas post a video and an appropriate control item to verify results.... smile

Also what kind of vehicle/engine is it and how do you punch someone in the face that lives on the EAST coast if the head is cracked or bad once it's back together?....

grin

They guarantee their work. If anything is bad I can ship it back to them free and they will give me a different one.

PM me your number, I will call you when we start, and call you when its running.

Its a 2001 VW Jetta 2.0

I would like 2 dozen bullheads delivered to Marietta, Oklahoma April 15th. I can pm you the address of where I will be.