• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's see your spears

full-36972-6922-0216111023.jpg

Here is one I made myself. I love the heavy weight and large barbs! You about have to take the fish off with your foot. tempered tipped tines too. helps keep em sharp. She's got a couple scales on her from just spearing a fish and the paint is nearly wore off but I still love it!

The one on the left is an Amish spear I got a couple years ago not much to tell there except its my favorite of the three. My dads spear is in the middle I think he got it back in the 80's. I speared my first northern with that one when I was about 7 years old. I don't use it much anymore because its shorter and lighter that what I like to use. The one on the right was my grandpa's spear thats about all I know about it. I have only used it a couple times because I just can't get used to using a five tine spear.

Some day I will learn how to put pictures on here. Awesome pictures everyone, there are some really nice looking spears here. I'm envious of them all, and all the enjoyment you've all had, and will have with these wonderful tools of the trade. I miss spearing already. I think I will just go make another spear, and maybe that will help me.

Some day I will learn how to put pictures on here. Awesome pictures everyone, there are some really nice looking spears here. I'm envious of them all, and all the enjoyment you've all had, and will have with these wonderful tools of the trade. I miss spearing already. I think I will just go make another spear, and maybe that will help me.

How to post pictures

Anymore questions Spike just ask will will gladly help.

Okay, I didn't get to wet a spear this winter but dug them out today to take a couple pictures. The tallest spear on the left has been my "go to" spear for the last couple decades. It was hand crafted by Spike76. It is stainless and IMO has perfect weight for pinning any size pike to the bottom, perfect tine length and perfect width.

The second spear is my grandpa's old spear and my backup in case I need to spear a second time. It has nice barbs that hold tight.

The third spear was given to me that I haven't tried yet.

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

IMO many spears I see are not heavy enough, not quite wide enough and have too short of tines for my liking.

My spears are in Brainerd, so I won't have any pictures for awhile, but thanks for all the help. Sorry you couldn't use your spears this year Bowfin. I've got a spear I started making for Champ that I'll be finishing this year. I'll show it, when I'm done with it. My brother has a forge and we will be working on making some spears for my grandkids.

Thanks C. R. for putting some of my spears out to view. From left to right. This is a brainerd spear that I bought from a neighbor. This was his fathers, and he wanted me to have it. I speared several fish with it this last season. Next is an old spear that has helped me retrieve a couple of wooden decoys off the bottom. Close tines and not too heavy. Young spearers like it also. Next is all stainless steel, with one quarter inch tines and a five eighths handle. This spear has worked very well. Next is my daughter's, made the same as Bowfin's. Five sixteens tines, and five eighths handle, the best I've made and works great ,my fovorite. Next is one I bought for five dollars, added the end tines and added a one half inch stainless handle, Works great for a backup. Next is a stainless that I had cut down shorter, for a smaller house I have and my portable, but I wish it was still longer. The background is a log playhouse I built for my grandkids, with a lot of help from my sister, she can handle a chainsaw better then me.