• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steering cable

Gordie

I have a one cable steering system is it as easy as it looks to just take it apart and reinstall the new one by pushing it back thru the steering cable holder attached to the wheel. I would like to install a longer one

It depends on the boat itself. More often than not, the engine will need to be unbolted and moved back far enough to get the cable end out of the tube on the engine. Not sure what kind of boat you have gordy

The console is loose not attached yet and the cable is not hooked up to the motor yet either.

I am installing a differnt motor to the 18ft jon that I have and in stalling a consol steering set up and the steering cable needsto be longer so I can mount the consol where I want it

Thanks Bruce

Ok I got it now! and yes its that easy. Is this a "rotary rack"? When you say "push it back through the steering cable holder" thats what comes to mind. In either case Gordy, take a good look at the helm and other parts and make sure thet are tight and not worn out.

A couple years ago I gutted and rebuilt my 79 Starcraft. I had to replace the steering cable. Yes, it was that easy. Just pulled it out.

However, when I put it all back together I got the gearing under the console backwards. Don't ask me how I did this, but I did. Sooooo, when I turned left, I actually turned right. Easy fix but yes, replacing the cable was that easy.

I just did my steering cable on my boat. I have an outboard motor. My old steering was too short to fit in the new boat and the new steering did not have the right connections to connect to the motor. I had to decide what to do. I ended up going with buying connectors to make the newer steering cables to connect to the motor. So keep this in mind when doing your steering. Im not sure how old your boat and steering is, but doing the work is super easy.