• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

parents worried about the late ice period for late ice panfish

robert aldrich

If your carefull and dont drive into open water chances are you will be fine grin

I would'nt call this late ice yet either. I plan on fishing for a couple or a few weeks yet depending on how the ice holds up.

I guess I never realised that Winona was so far away from St Cloud that we would have such differing ice conditions. Here in town the Mississippi is still frozen solid and most of the lakes have 24-30in of ice yet. If the ice conditions in that part of the state are truely that bad you could try walking out. Or you could do what I do when the ice starts to get thin around here and thats head north till you find good ice.

i am going to go late ice panfishing tomarrow, but my parents are worried about the ice. we sill have a foot of ice on lake winona and there are trucks and cars on the ice.

Your parents are going to worry about many things that you do, and may be overly cautious in your young mind.

However, that's their job.

They may have(through the ages) seen or heard of people falling through the ice being rescued, or worst case, dying.

About 30-40 years down the road, you will come to realize that your choices may not have been the smartest during your younger days.

Everyone does, it's part of the maturing process.

Your parents are just trying to get you to this period. wink

They should be worried and you should be too. You may be able to go with reasonable safety. You need to proceed with caution. Also someone in your group should be the cautious type with lots of experience on late ice. No one should be driving cars on a foot of late ice.

If you go be safe. For sure do not drive out. Ice thickness and quality can vary a lot especially on late ice.

I guess I never realised that Winona was so far away from St Cloud that we would have such differing ice conditions. Here in town the Mississippi is still frozen solid and most of the lakes have 24-30in of ice yet. If the ice conditions in that part of the state are truely that bad you could try walking out. Or you could do what I do when the ice starts to get thin around here and thats head north till you find good ice.

The Mississippi is open in Monticello, at least it was on Thursday when I drove over it........

Educate your parents the way I did when I was younger. "Mom. It took three months of freezing to get the lakes to where they are. Do you really think they will melt in a day, just because the temp was 5 degrees above freezing?" Then stick with "the shorelines melt first". So when it's finally unsafe is when the ladder doesn't reach any more. My mom and your mom sound like allot of the guys on these forums. When the temps get above freezing for a couple of hours during the day, the ice will magically evaporate from under your feet. As far as the Miss.. Well that's a river and doesn't apply to anything I just said. Late ice is great, just treat it with respect.

The Mississippi is open in Monticello, at least it was on Thursday when I drove over it........

Hasn't it been open all winter? There's a warm water discharge (powerplant?) upstream. I had friends and saw reports on here of people open water fishing there in January catchings smallies.

Hasn't it been open all winter? There's a warm water discharge (powerplant?) upstream. I had friends and saw reports on here of people open water fishing there in January catchings smallies.

I wouldn't really know this, but it has been answered already. I just happened to cross over it on my way to Big Lake.

Quote:
there are trucks and cars on the ice

I know that you are not necessarily saying you are driving, but driving on a foot of late ice is extremely foolish in by book. Thickness has nothing to do with strength and integrity when it comes to at ice.

I used to be brave too....until I fell through and almost died January 8th, 2007 about 2 hours after sunset. Its a nightmare I relive often in my dreams, and everytime I've been on the ice since. If there is ANY question as to whether or not the ice is still safe, please just stay off. It isn't worth it to catch a couple little sunfish. If you do go out, throw on a life vest, have ice picks handy, carry ropes, and bring a friend. People like to talk tough about the ice being safe. I'm guessing these same people have never been swimming in 34 degree water with heavy winter clothes and pack boots on.....

I've been in. Twice. Probably gonna go through a few more, till I'm too old to pull myself up any more.

Wow man, you are determined to catch a few panfish. I put my stuff away already. The state record crappie couldn't coax me into going out on honeycombing ice. I have seen swirl holes get bigger by the second once, and that's enough to keep me away from late ice.

I know there's plenty of ice out there in diff places throughout the state, but I just don't have the same passion to chase tiny (but tasty) fish as I did a month ago.