• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer Flasher Storage & Battery Maintenance

bk_MN_iceman

Hey Guys,

A question I've been meaning to ask here that I haven't got around to... What's the best way to store your flasher in the off season?

I don't do a lot of summer fishing and don't really think I have a need for my Humminbird 55 ICE during the off season.

Should it be drained dead? Disconnected from the battery? Charged every so many weeks/months?

What do you guys do when not in use for such a long period of time?

Keep well charged, every 2 months is good.

Battery Memory is not an issue, keep fully charged.

A good tip is to post a note on your calender to plug it in and charge a maintenance charge bi-monthly.

Your battery will maintain and sustain top efficiency that way.

I recommend keeping it securely indoors. And wipe it down clean. Mice, cats, dogs you name it all can find the scent of bait and fish on the fabric or wiring tempting and get to it and raise costly havoc. Securely stored inside a pest proof spot would be wise.

I fully charged all of my flasher or batteries by the end of the season is over. Then unplug them from any connectors, cords, or usage for the rest of the year.

I may use a battery meter to test them every 3-4 months just to see if their still charged. But I have left the batteries untouched for a whole year and they are still fully charged or 90%+ charged at the start of the new ice season. I have done this for as long as I can remember. The only battery that has gone bad on me so far is one I forgot to charged. LOL...

As others have already stated here:

1. Initially charged with a full battery

2. Charge every month or two to maintain

3. Disconnect pos. and neg. terminal from battery

4. Definately, disconnect any battery meters attached

5. Clean outside to remove odors, etc.

6. Store inside

Mostly good advice. About the only one I question is testing with a meter. If you use a volt meter to test a battery, I can show full voltage with very little charge left. Best to just hook up the charger periodically instead.

One thing. NEVER store a battery at a low state of charge.

I fully charged all of my flasher or batteries by the end of the season is over. Then unplug them from any connectors, cords, or usage for the rest of the year.

I may use a battery meter to test them every 3-4 months just to see if their still charged. But I have left the batteries untouched for a whole year and they are still fully charged or 90%+ charged at the start of the new ice season. I have done this for as long as I can remember. The only battery that has gone bad on me so far is one I forgot to charged. LOL...

I do the same thing. Had to replace my vexilar battery after 9 years.

I dont worry about the battery when its not in use. have owned vexilars for over ten years and bought 1 replacment battery. disconnect battery and I also put my flashers in a plastic grocery bags and tie the bag closed for the time im not useing it.

Mostly good advice. About the only one I question is testing with a meter. If you use a volt meter to test a battery, I can show full voltage with very little charge left. Best to just hook up the charger periodically instead.

One thing. NEVER store a battery at a low state of charge.

Yeap, a battery may show a stand by voltage of 12.6 volts and only be about 50 percent of charge capacity.