• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

~ Loaded Baked Pa-Tater Soup Recipe ~

~ Loaded Baked Pa-Tater Soup Recipe ~

199838_10150203481500299_667510298_89044

This recipe for loaded baked potato soup is outstanding! You will agree after tasting the rich and creamy texture with crispy bacon and melted cheese; it's dreamy actually.

~ RECIPE FOR BAKED POTATO SOUP ~

2 large cooked baked potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 cup half-and-half cream

5 bacon strips, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1 tsp homemade garlic powder

1 tsp homemade onion powder

3 TBS flour

salt and pepper to taste

Serve with:

cheddar cheese, shredded

green onion, chopped

sour cream

In a skillet, fry chopped bacon and onion until bacon is cooked and onion is tender. Remove and drain; set aside.

In the same bacon fat, add the flour and whisk together until smooth. Gradually whisk in the broth, bring to a boil and mix for two minutes. Add the potatoes and half-and-half. Mix well until heated through. Top each serving with cheddar cheese, bacon and sour cream.

Enjoy!

great reciepie! i'm working on a garden this year. you said homemade garlic powder along with onion powder. i take it you dehydrate these and put them in a food proccessor. this would be a great idea, should i grow more than i need, and dry some vegies for later use. how long do your homemade spices last and how do you store them. thanks. good luck.

Not to take away from Ed's awesome looking recipe (I agree, where or what is the broth?)I've been experimenting with potato soup for a long time and think I finally hit on a winner:

4 large baking potatoes

12 strips bacon - (cooked & crumbled)

1 Ham Steak - cubed

2/3 cup of butter

2/3 cup flower

1 tbsp of chopped garlic - you know that stuff in a jar

6 cups milk

1 can chicken stock

4 green onions

4 ozs valveeta cheese (or one cup cheddar)

8 ozs sour cream.

While I was grilling some Italian sausage for bombers, I threw the potatoes on the grill. Cooked them until tender. Cut in half, scooped out the pulp, diced small and set aside. Slapped some butter in the skins and ate for a snack.

In a large Dutch oven, I melted the butter on low heat, added the garlic for a second and then mixed in the flour, stirring until smooth. Then added 1 cup of the milk and stirred constantly until any lumps were out. Then gradually added the rest of the milk, also stirring constantly. The heat should be right near boiling (don't let it rapid boil) and keep stirring until it thickens (maybe about 3 minutes or so). Add chicken stock,sour cream & cheese. Stir again untill the cheese melts.

Then add the potatoes, ham, 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 the chopped onion (save the other half to top the soup). Take your pepper grinder and give it a number of good turns. I cooked this on low for about a half hour or so. Taste the soup at this point and add salt if needed. (already quite a bit of salt from the bacon, ham & processed cheese)

When I make soup, I like to make enough to eat for a couple of days. This did the trick.

While this was going on, I picked up some 3 lb packages of Flat Cut Corned Beef (its always on sale this time of the year) and threw one in the crock pot, covered it with Guiness beer, a handful of peppercorns, and a whole head of garlic (peeled). Cooked on low for 8 hours, refridgerated, then sliced thin with the meat cutter.

Saturday night dinner was Grilled Italian Sausage Bombers(slow simmered for an hour in severly doctored up Prego) topped with green pepper, onion and provolone cheese melted under the broiler, along with the soup.

Next day lunch was Ruebens with soup. A soup and sandwich kind of a weekend.

Boy, Nothing better than when I have a whole day up at the lake to cook and sip on a few adult beverages. This past Saturday was one of those days.

Xplorer - Can't wait to get you there. I know I'll be solo the weekend of the 16th, but also know thats the weekend before you head to Bobs(I don't think I'll be able to make that). You find a weekend that works for you and you will always be welcome.