• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow death

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Im thinking about trying a bead chain to kill the line twist.

Let us know how that works out.

Good tips guys. I've been doing different stuff with Aberdeen hooks for years, but haven't tried the SD hooks.

In the past I have been tying my own rigs, but today I picked up some pre-tied Mustad slow death rigs at Runnings Farm and Fleet and noticed that they come with a big bead on them right in front of the hook. Can someone clarify what the bead is for? Is it just for attraction? Thanks.

Last weekend was the first time I had used SD hooks. It as hard for me to use more of a sweeping hook set compared to the cross their eyes hook set. Lost several fish that you could feel it pulled the hook out of the their mouth. After several other bites I connected on several nice walleyes using more of a sweep. Caught them on nightcrawlers and and Gulp Alive 3" fry.

You mention using fastsnaps, I assume a standard snap swivel would do the same thing right? We you said you can change hooks or put on a floater, where are you adding the floater? I don't follow. I'd like to try these rigs. What do you suggest for typical bouncer weight if I'm in the 18-22ft depths and around .8mph or so

Thanks

This year is the first time using the Slow Death hooks so I've been learning on the fly but they definitely work. I was fishing a spot last weekend where I went through the area with BB's and spinners but didn't coax any bites. Changed over to the SD set-up and popped three in short order.

To be clear, this isn't my first attempt with the SD hooks this season so it's not like they're a magical lure that was a success on the first go. Just wanted to mention that so people didn't think that you can just tie one on and start catching fish right out of the gate.

Using something that is new is a little tough as you have no confidence in the system, but now I believe that they can have a place in my arsenal. One of the keys is to use a fat crawler because they spin much better. Their fat head also seems to stay seated over the eye of the hook better too.

I'm heading out tomorrow and hope they are just as successful as the last trip.

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

Thanks for the heads up on these, never heard of them, just checked out the HSOforum on how to rig them, they showed a video of em in action, seems like a good idea, I look forward to getting some and giving them a try

Picked some up the other day to try. Didnt have much luck on them yet, but still learning the techniques that go with them. From what ive seen from further research is that a larger crawler would have been better, mine didnt seem to spin as well as i was thinking it would have. I was running a slididng weight that bumbs against my snap swivel, then my SD snell with its own swivel at the start ending with a red hook. didnt catch any eyes all day so might have just been a bad day but stuck with the same setup for the whole trip just to learn.

Had some success with slow death on some very nice sunnies and crappies this weekend. They just happened to be in the shallow end of where i was rigging for walleye and when i zig zaged on the shallow side couldnt help but catch some.

Has anyone had any luck with plastics on the slow death? Saw a video of using triggerx crawlers, tried it without success. I see there are some 2 inch pinched gulp neght crawlers. Any one try these? or have a different idea. I did have success when the real crawler tail was bit off to put a gulp fry on the hook as a tail. The catching was pretty good when using the live bait. Supprised the trigger x didn't work.

I just got back from fishing a week on Lake Oahe, where the slow death was created. I can tell you guys that whatever combination of bead, blade, spinner and smiley you can think of has been done and is working right now on that lake.

Any tricks that you do to the rig all seem to work with key thing now is to tune bead/blade combinations to work on certain sizes of fish.

I'm new to the SD craze, but a week ago out on Mille Lacs the only thing we could get them to bite on was a SD hook without beads or blades. I had a bunch rigged up, and ended up going back to the plain ol' hook. They outfished rigs and spinners by a very wide margin. That being said, the guys pulling leadcore did better than we did....but not by too much. Seems like it's something I've gotta keep working with, and it's nice to finally get a bit of confidence in it.