• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow death

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some of the slow death hooks a few weeks back and I had also bought a spool of fireline. So what you are saying is i should make a Mono leader and use a quality swivel with this setup and i will still be OK? Or should i forget about putting the braided line on the slow death rods and keep the mono?

There shouldn't be any problem using braid as the main line with flouro or mono as the leader as long as there is a good swivel in between.

When I was talking about using flourocarbon or mono that was for the leader material, not the main line. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Use this tactic all the time - works great in any body of water.

Found, while fishing with Parsons, last season we did just as well fishing SD with aBerkley 3" Fry as bait. Have to bend the hook just a bit more for a proper roll, but it works great. Now, in any situation, cant beat a crawler. But, is nice to just use some Gulp!, as it is much easier to thread on!! smile

For the bead and blade deal. Only blade that I know that really works good in front of SD is a smiley blade. Others take away from the action too much.

Use this tactic all the time - works great in any body of water.

Found, while fishing with Parsons, last season we did just as well fishing SD with aBerkley 3" Fry as bait. Have to bend the hook just a bit more for a proper roll, but it works great. Now, in any situation, cant beat a crawler. But, is nice to just use some Gulp!, as it is much easier to thread on!! smile

For the bead and blade deal. Only blade that I know that really works good in front of SD is a smiley blade. Others take away from the action too much.

i cant find the 3 in fry anywhere. checked fleet, 2 different ganders, and the vendors at the show (reeds, joes, marine general)

ended up getting 4 in crawlers.

Just stopped at FF and picked up some slow death hooks. Seems like they spin a ton on the video. I assume, use the best swivel possible to prevent line twist.

But what about those new invisi-swivels?

Anyone tried them with a twister like a slow death yet?

I am going to be starting the Walleye season in a gin clear lake and would love to try them with the slow death hooks if there is some solid feedback on them.

Thanks.

I can see where a Macks smiley blade would work. Now that Gary Parsons and his posse are fishing the FLW this year I'm hoping I get paired up with one of them. That would be cool.

Not to derail the thread (which has been great, BTW) but did the AIM circuit fold up?

On the river, I like to use a large Colorado blade, 5 beads and a red SDH. I've had great success with this set up on the river and Smiley blades on lakes.

On lakes, I like to complement a red SD hook with a Smiley blade and a bead. I've tried this set up with pinching the crawler off and using a whole crawler. I'll even blow the crawler up and then add a little juice to top it off.

Not to derail the thread (which has been great, BTW) but did the AIM circuit fold up?

No, the AIM is alive and well. Gary, Keith and Chase are fishing the FLW also this year because of the payouts. There is darn good guaranteed money this year in the FLW, plus with the payouts they are not at that much of a handicap for not running a Ranger so they are giving it a shot, plus the schedule is great.

Does anyone know where you can find a SD rig that uses red hooks in the metro? All I could find was rigs that use gold hooks at FF. The Lakeville GM didn't even carry the hooks(they don't seem to carry Mustad anymore.)

I've purchased mine at Cabelas and I'm pretty sure Fleet Farm too.

Thanks!

I'll check Cabelas. I found the rig in gold hooks at the Lakeville Fleet Farm and I looked all around that area and didn't even see a tag for ones with red hooks, so I'm pretty sure they don't have them. I could be wrong, because it was pretty packed yesterday.

make sure to keep the weeds off the swivel. Went out last weekend and used SD 1/2 the time and was able to net one elusive eye, with a whole gulp crawler. When I was out this week, I wasn't paying attention to the tiny amount of weeds on the swivel and I had a tangled mess. I really like using the gulp crawlers with SD. Stayed on the hook very well, and the perch didn't seem to steal the crawler like seemingly every time I use a live crawler

Maybe try a bead in front of the swivel or if that isnt working try it an inch or 2 in front of the swivel with a bobber stop holding it away from sliding down to the swivel. This will keep all the "junk" thats catches and slides down the line away from the swivel. Not sure what your using for a presentation, bottom bouncer etc.... Just a thought

Would this presentation work on a smaller river with fairly rapid current? I would be fishing in less than 10 feet of water most times...and generally catch eyes, perch, and a ton of smallmouth. If so, would a 3 way rig with a drop down sinker be best, or would you still go with the bottom bouncer?

I got out last weekend and initially used a bottom bouncer and minnow and was having no luck compared to the other 3 in the boat but once i tried the slow death I quickly started hammering the fish. For better or worse it attracted a wide variety of fish including a 19 inch walleye, an 18 inch channel cat and then several bullheads and a sunny.

I thought that I had a quality ball bearing swivel on it but still got lots of line twist so I am going to have to try some different types.