• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow death

DNR has proposed a few different rules and one addresses the multiple hooks. These rules have been adopted but not sure when they will go into effect. Long in short - you can use three single or multiple hooks as long as they are 9 inches or less apart. See the link for more info. Either way, going to have to give the slow death a shot this year.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/rules/fisheries/index.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without the bead and blade I believe this two hook rig is not legal in MN. Just an FYI so someone doesn't try it and be in violation.

This rig was used in wisconsin. I'm pretty sure it's legal there but thanks for the concern. Also, I hope they pass that new law. There is no reason why a spinner with three hooks is legal, but three regular hooks minus the beads and spinner is illegal. Again my 2cents. Thanks for that information jarnostki.

Borch, what size hooks were you using. I'm gonna order some up for mille lacs.

I would like to try these out and see how it compares to the bead and spoon. My father likes to lindy rig it and I would like to use this and see what the difference is before I introduce him to them wink

use size 2's. they come in red, gold, and regular. make sure to use a barrel swivel too.

i tied mine up with barrel swivel, 4 ft of 10 lb. flouro, and just a single hook. i ran em behind bottom bouncers.

My plan would be to drift/troll with the Slow Death dragging along while I vertical jig with the other rod using a jigging rap/swedish pimple/Lindy Darter.

You will have to let us know how they perform. I plan on trying them out on Lake Nipigon for brookies. I would think that a gulp crawler on a slow death hook behind an off-shore board could also be deadly.

use size 2's. they come in red, gold, and regular. make sure to use a barrel swivel too.

i tied mine up with barrel swivel, 4 ft of 10 lb. flouro, and just a single hook. i ran em behind bottom bouncers.

Same rig I use with a chartruese bead.

where can I find these hooks in west metro? I didn't find any at big c. I am thinking about trying these this year.

Big C does carry them, but Fleet Farm has the best price so far.

I love these things, ever since I was introduced to them, they have become my go to presentation.

A #2 hook is perfect size for the mid Mn walleyes. And they slaughter the smallies.

I was at the store the other day looking at some swivels, and there are some out there that are pretty expensive relative to the ones I usually buy. With the slow death hooks I assume there's a lot of line spin, so how do you counter that...does any swivel do? What is the benefit of the fancy expensive swivels?

Carmike, it has been my experience that you need to use a ball bearing swivel with the slow death. You can probably get by with a regular swivel for awhile but it will catch up with you and you will pull up a mess.

I like the ball bearing crosslock snap swivels myself. Spendy so don't drop them overboard. Bying in bulk helps, split them with your buddies to keep the cost down.

That's where I would start. A good ball bearing swivel is going to cost about 50 cent's up to about a buck. Not much when you look at the days cost but it adds up. But then again, when you add in the cost of frustration because of twisted line it's pretty cheap.

I usually put a small cheap barrel swivel on the end of my spinners rigs and SD rigs. I have a ball bearing crosslock swivel on the main line. You cannot have to much swivel! I prefer the crosslock design since it is less prone to pulling open or accidentally opening and losing your stuff.

so you run two swivels on your lindy rigs? Interesting. do you have a picture or drawing?

Typically I run braid because I mainly fish the river. I have a family cabin on mille lacs and do a fair amount of fishing on there but still use the braid. I still catch the same amount of fish and the person next to me using mono. My problem with the braid is it tangles to easy when using a lindy. Ive been debating putting a three way on and using a mono leader as the mono is stiffer and would turn the swivel easier than the braid.

anyone else have issues with braid and lindy rigs? I am assuming most of you are all mono guys

I just put a small (like a size 18) el cheapo barell swivel on the leader. Nothing special, I just use it instead of a loop. I find that in wind or low light situations it's easier to find with my eyes. I do not use this setup on Lindy Rigs, only on spinners and Slow Death rigs that spin and have more speed to them than a Lindy does.

If your talking about spinners, braid is a no-no. Braid does not have the stiffness required to to transfer the spinning motion to the swivel. A spinner or SD rig will twist at it's weakest link, and that would be the braided line. Flourocarbon is a better choice than mono since it is stiffer. Now, if your talking real Lindy rigs, then mono is the choice since it's more limp, unless your in gin clear lakes then might be back to flouro.

If your talking about spinners, braid is a no-no. Braid does not have the stiffness required to to transfer the spinning motion to the swivel. A spinner or SD rig will twist at it's weakest link, and that would be the braided line. Flourocarbon is a better choice than mono since it is stiffer. Now, if your talking real Lindy rigs, then mono is the choice since it's more limp, unless your in gin clear lakes then might be back to flouro.

Good advice there!

By advising not to use braid, I assume you're speaking of the leader? I use my bass stuff to pull spinners, and the line on the rods is braid, and I never had any MAJOR problems. I did pop off some fish (which I think I'll try to fix by loosening up the drag a bunch), and the worm/minnow/leech spun in the water, but I don't think those were caused by the braid on the main line. Or were they?