• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ameristep Alaskan Ice Shelter (Hub)

oleWalter

I have an extreme ice by ap outdoors. Ive only had it our 3 times but seems to be a good house. The one you are looking at is over a foot shorter in hieght than the one I have. You may want to find out the thick the canvas is before you buy, there are some houses out there with 300D and some with 600D canvas. Take a good look at it, and do some research thats how I ended up with what I have.

good luck

Compare the venting and the windows. Hooded vents are a key feature to look for. Who needs drafts and snow blowing in down your neck?

I would look at a model with Velcro windows and not sewn in windows too. As this is a high failure point on many hubs, cracked windows. Replacing them is often costly.

Look for reinforced hub points and reinforced corners too.

Zipper quality is another point to be keen on.

The higher the denier count on the fabric is generally better, but not always.

I worry about a lot of the specific component features as a whole before I am very concerned of the denier count of the fabric.

If everything else falls apart in one season of use, who really cares if the fabric is thick or thin?

I have the two man hub by Ameristep. I bought it on sale the man mall just because I needed a two man and it was relatively cheap. Once I got it home and set it up I was pleasantly surprised! Hooded roof vent, windows are removable (velcro), zipper was nice and heavy duty. Also comes with adjustable strap halfway up the sides as extra stakeout points for windy days. The bag is OK, it has backpack straps (thin nylon straps), but it big enough that I don't have to fight it to get it back into the bag. I'm extremely happy with my purchase, been out at least a half dozen times in it this year and would buy another for sure! I can't comment on how it compares to other hubs since this is the only one I have owned.

The eskimo and the AP Outdoors are the two premier hub style fish houses on the market. I've used both of these brands and I have to give the AP Outdoors the nod but you're really splitting hairs as the AP has a the windows, zippers and storage that I liked. Both are great fish houses check them out!!!

mr

Get an Eskimo...
I agree get a Eskimo. i have the Eskimo Quick Fish 2 Pop Up Ice Fishing Shelter.Specifications:

• Capacity: 2-person

• Set-Up Size: 59 in x 59 in

• Height: 67 in

• Fishable Area: 25 sq ft

• Weight: 18 lbs

• Warranty: 1 year limited

i use it as a one person hub ice house and i can fit my otter small sled in it. verry roomy. i am going to bring a small table next time i use it.

I'll agree with 5 stars for Eskimo. The QF3 is great for two people and as said above, 3 people in a pinch. I am a little more hesitant to go out fishing on the very windy days though as it is a little more work setting this up for the super windy days over my suitcase style.

when you get out on the ice you take the hub ice house out of the backpack and you put 2 ice anchors in on the windy side and pop that side out and then you pull the other sides out and put the rope on the windy side and the other side. then you pop out the roof. do this step after you drilled your ice holes.

when you get out on the ice you take the hub ice house out of the backpack and you put 2 ice anchors in on the windy side and pop that side out and then you pull the other sides out and put the rope on the windy side and the other side. then you pop out the roof. do this step after you drilled your ice holes.

Yeah-Had no problems in high wind also...as long as the wind isen't "swirling" it can be very easy. Like state above, screw in one anchor one the windy side, pop that side then secure. If its a one directional wind you are set...if swirling you may need to repeat on the other side!

I have the Glens Elite from Grand Rapids and love it so far. Only one year of though. Would liked to have had removable windows but everything else was made perfect.

When it's REALLY windy I screw all four corners down and then take the two walls most faced into the wind and pull them out and snap caribiners I have tied on to each rope into the two remaining pre-drilled screws. Then pop the other two walls and ceiling out. Only takes a few minutes and I've never had a problem yet and I've fished some very strong wind.

My QF3 came with a large pin to hook my license holder to a loop on the house by the door. It has worked well also.