• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

All WCHA team

scsavre

2010-11 WCHA Major Award Winners

WCHA Player of the Year

Matt Frattin • Senior, Forward

University of North Dakota (Edmonton, AB)

WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year

Chay Genoway • Senior, Defenseman

University of North Dakota (Morden, MB)

WCHA Defensive Player of the Year

Justin Schultz • Sophomore, Defenseman

University of Wisconsin (West Kelowna, BC)

WCHA Rookie of the Year

Jason Zucker • Freshman, Forward

University of Denver (Las Vegas, NV)

WCHA Scoring Champion

Matt Frattin • Senior, Forward

University of North Dakota (Edmonton, AB)

WCHA Goaltending Champion

Aaron Dell • Sophomore, Goaltender

University of North Dakota (Airdrie, AB)

WCHA Coach of the Year

Dean Blais • University of Nebraska Omaha (49 votes)

2010-11 All-WCHA First Team

Pos Name Team Ht Wt Yr Hometown Pts

F Matt Frattin North Dakota 6-0 206 Sr Edmonton, AB 435

F Jack Connolly Minnesota Duluth 5-8 160 Jr Duluth, MN 354

F Mike Connolly Minnesota Duluth 5-9 190 Jr Calgary, AB 354

D Justin Schultz Wisconsin 6-1 185 So West Kelowna, BC 438

D Chay Genoway North Dakota 5-9 177 Sr Morden, MB 273

G Aaron Dell North Dakota 6-0 191 So Airdrie, AB 283

2010-11 All-WCHA Second Team

F Jason Zucker Denver 5-10 175 Fr Las Vegas, NV 320

F Drew Shore Denver 6-3 190 So Denver, CO 196

F Justin Fontaine Minnesota Duluth 5-11 175 Sr Bonnyville, AB 183

D Jake Gardiner Wisconsin 6-2 193 Jr Minnetonka, MN 253

D Matt Donovan Denver 6-0 190 So Edmond, OK 151

G Kent Patterson Minnesota 6-1 180 Jr Plymouth, MN 141

2010-11 All-WCHA Third Team

F Jason Gregoire North Dakota 5-11 196 Jr Winnipeg, MB 113

F Jaden Schwartz Colorado College 5-10 182 Fr Wilcox, SK 87

F Drew LeBlanc St. Cloud State 6-0 185 Jr Hermantown, MN 74

D Kurt Davis Minnesota State 5-9 175 Sr Plymouth, MN 150

D Justin Faulk Minnesota Duluth 5-11 200 Fr South St. Paul, MN 99

G John Faulkner Nebraska Omaha 6-1 207 So Sarnia, ON 123

2010-11 All-WCHA Rookie Team

Pos Name Team Ht Wt Yr Hometown Votes

F Jason Zucker Denver 5-10 175 Fr Las Vegas, NV 91

F Jaden Schwartz Colorado College 5-10 182 Fr Wilcox, SK 80

F J.T. Brown Minnesota Duluth 5-10 170 Fr Burnsville, MN 44

D Justin Faulk Minnesota Duluth 5-11 200 Fr South St. Paul, MN 82

D David Makowski Denver 6-0 205 Fr Wildwood, MO 44

G Sam Brittain Denver 6-3 210 Fr Calgary, AB 79

All-WCHA Academic Team for 2010-11

Twelve Gophers were named to the all-WCHA academic team, iincluding six repeaters.

To earn recognition as a member of the All-WCHA Academic Team, member team student-athletes must meet the following criteria: 1) have completed one year of residency at present institution, prior to the current academic year; and 2) have a grade point average of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) for the previous two semesters or three quarters.

(*indicates repeat honoree).

University of Minnesota: Jay Barriball* (Sr., F, Prior Lake, MN); Zach Budish (So., F, Edina, MN); Jacob Cepis (Sr., F, Parma, OH); Cade Fairchild (Sr., D, Duluth, MN); Mike Hoeffel* (Sr., F, North Oaks, MN); Jake Kremer* (Jr., G, Eden Prairie, MN); Nick Larson* (Jr., F, Stillwater, MN); Taylor Matson* (Jr., F, Mound, MN); Joe Miller (Jr., F, Plymouth, MN); Aaron Ness (Jr., D, Roseau, MN); Kent Patterson* (Jr., G, Plymouth, MN); Nico Sacchetti* (Jr., F, Virginia, MN).

For defensemen whats a more important stat. Points or your +/- ratio. I just think some of the more defensemen who are blueliners are more deserving than a high scoring. I agree that Chay shouldn't be a first team. I would have put Ben Blood there instead.

I also would have put Read in there. Maybe replace him with Jaden. He miss most of the second half and CC didn't miss a beat when he was gone.

The offensive defenseman have always gotten the awards, it's just the way it is a lot of time. While I can see your point and Blood is a very good dman I don't think he has done enough to make the top two teams, maybe 3rd team but that might be a stretch too. Defensive D are a dime a dozen at all levels of hockey so it can be very hard for them to stand out. When comparing two players you have to look at both sides of the ice, was Blood that much better in the D zone then some of the other guys who were far better on the other end of the rink.

The following is a quote from an article on the BSU HSOforum. At least they have good grades I guess.

"The Bemidji State men’s ice hockey team built a culture of excellence in the classroom as members of College Hockey America (CHA) and that tradition has carried over into the team’s first season in the WCHA. With twenty-one members of the team’s 29-man roster selected as recipients of the 2010-11 academic award, BSU far exceeded any of it peer association institutions."

UND had 16, DU had 16, SCSU had 14, MSU had 14, UM had 12, UMD had 10, UNO had 10, CC had 10, MT had 9, UAA had 5, and UW had a lowly 3.

Does everybody have access to tv boradcasts of their teams tonight. THe wild are on so the FSN channels are all messed up. I heard 692 for comcast gophs but the menu doesnt reflect that. I saw the Sioux on a comcast channel on the menu, not sure where you have to live to get that channel though.

OH, how about those dogs. looks like they snatched some good MN players this year. 2 players on the all rookie team.

So which team do we give the best overall rookie class to after the year now.

I think Sioux had the pre-season class, then maybe Denver and the Gophs. Id put UND at in the middle at best now. No doubt they will get good though.

Hard to say...UMD, UM, W, D and CC all have 3 or 4 guys with good numbers.

Denver with 4 guys over 17 points including a D man and adding in Britain in nets, might have tops.

Gophs might get second with 3 over 17 and a d man with 10 points who is good all over.

UMD really just has the 2 guys.

Denver had the best class. Jason Zucker, Beau Bennett, John Makowshi(sp) and Sam Brittain. Next best UNO with Matt White, Ryan Walters, Brock Montpetit, and Johnnie Searfoss.

Alot of good freshman around the league. WCHA has a bright future the next couple of years.

The offensive defenseman have always gotten the awards, it's just the way it is a lot of time. While I can see your point and Blood is a very good dman I don't think he has done enough to make the top two teams, maybe 3rd team but that might be a stretch too. Defensive D are a dime a dozen at all levels of hockey so it can be very hard for them to stand out. When comparing two players you have to look at both sides of the ice, was Blood that much better in the D zone then some of the other guys who were far better on the other end of the rink.

Ben Blood has the highest -/+ ratio in the league. Drew Shore was up there to. It can be a deceiving stat with the Powerplay not included and all which isn't UND's strong point. It says something about how the player did on 5 on 5 situation. To answer would I rather have Blood out there in those situation. In my amatuer opinion the best D man on UND was Jake Marto. He did it all. Nobody was better in the Dzone than Blood though. Chay was the best in the offensive zone but not by much. He cost us a few goals along as scored a few.

Oh man, UNO will be good in the future. I thought it was interesting how Blais was already outrecruited UND and Minnesota for some of the kids. They got Josh Arhiebald(sp). Everyone thought UND or Minnesota would have landed that kid.

Blais will get it done. NOt sure if the gophs offered anything tho.

I think the one that got away from the Gophs and UND was that kid from Holly Angels, his name escapes me. Hes like 9 foot 13 or something. We were gonna offer him a scholly. He ended up at Wisc and skipped out on even visiting Sioux land.

How about that Chad Rau last night. wow, that kid can dominate, works hard too.

Where is Mario Lucia going to go. That kid is pretty awesome. Must be holding out on the Gophs to see if Don is still around. Can imagine if Mario went to UND. THere is no chance, but for the sake of drama, that would be funny.

I think the Gophs are going to be back on top next year. If they keep their players of course. Lucia would really have to screw up for his players to get worse.

"]Blais will get it done. NOt sure if the gophs offered anything tho.

I think the one that got away from the Gophs and UND was that kid from Holly Angels, his name escapes me. Hes like 9 foot 13 or something. We were gonna offer him a scholly. He ended up at Wisc and skipped out on even visiting Sioux land.

Joe LaBate?

Holy cr@p Scott can't keep up with all this back and forth. Yeah I watch Rau play. He has a motor that won't quit. Hopefully he continues to improve. He had a brother that palyed at CC right? Chad was his name?

Im fast today. My 4th cup of coffee and 3rd donut. ts gonna take a cloged artery to slow me down.

Working from home too. Too lazy to make my way to that big old corporate office where I park a mile away and have to walk up all those stairs.

Yah he had a bro at CC, he was good too.

I belive this Rau had a twin brother who plays on EP. Might have to keep an eye on him. Could be a late bloomer who turns it up after a year of Juniors.

Ben Blood has the highest -/+ ratio in the league.

Usually the guys on the best teams have good +/- so that isn't always the best indicator. I think that lazy, doesn't know how to play D, Thomas Vanek was leading the NHL in +/- a couple years back.

Cant blame the teams for wanting to see him play a year of Juniors. Some time it is the right call and other times you loose an awesome player. A gamble that the Gophs have lost too many times. We have taken too many good HS players that turn out to be duds.

Good call.