• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird 345c Portable?

mainbutter

Anyone have any experience with the Humminbird 345c Portable or it's non-portable twin? I'm considering this unit to use for fishing out of my canoe. I don't have much experience with running fishfinders, so this will be a fun season with lots of learning I hope. I'm mostly looking for a unit that will help me know whether or not I am "on the fish" while looking for crappies and walleye, and hopefully also be able to return the signals of baitfish in the area.

If the 345c doesn't float your boat, do you have any suggestions for a better unit? The only other one I was seriously considering was the Humminbird 570 portable, but the power output on the 345c is a little higher AND it's in color. The one drawback to the 345c over the 570 is a smaller screen (and thus less resolution), but I've read enough negative reviews of the regular 570 (since I can't find too many reviews of the portable version) to make me a little wary.

Thanks for any input!

I have the 345c had it for two winters and one summer.

IN SUMMER (GRAPH MODE)

It does a good job of showing weeds and bait fish if you have the sensitivity up a bit. As for showing fish its probably better for picking up crappies/sunfish that are suspended then picking up pesky walleyes sitting inches from the bottom. With the color screen its possible to see where the bottom switches from rock(hard bottom) to mud or sand (softer bottom). I did leave the portable transducer on my boat all summer last year and had to replace the rubber suction cup due to exposure to sun/water (got a perm mount). As for screen size if you are in a canoe I don't think you will mind the slightly smaller screen as you won't be moving around much anyway.

I would possibly be interested in selling my portable unit if your really interested? I purchased this unit so i can use it in both summer/winter. I would like to look into a more winter specific flasher is the only reason I would think of selling it