• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

40% of MN deer hunters refuse to shoot an antlerless deer

lakevet

According to the sept/oct 2010 Minnesota Conservation Volunteer magazine, about 40% of us deer hunters would rather go home empty handed than shoot an antlerless deer. This is from DNR surveys. By the way, this refers to the REGULAR hunting seasons and not to the CWD harvest/testing going on right now.

You can read the entire article here:

www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/sepoct10/bluffland_bucks.html

So does this mean that 40% are buck hunters and not deer (as in any deer is worth harvesting for eating) hunters? Horns before meat? How will hunters fulfill the role of helping manage deer populations, especially if this % increases?

It surprised me that that many hunters would pass on a juicy antlerless on the last hour of the last day, and eat store bought meat for 12 months. Maybe one of the rock stars of hunting videos can do antlerless videos/shows complete from field/woods to the table. Could even get it on the food channel on cable. And I have yet to have a PETA supporter stay in my face when I tell them we eat the meat, just as my family always has. Plus a guy who punches an antlerless tag and goes home leaves a buck in the woods for those that have that as a priority.

For us we hunt deer (bucks does and fawns), and enjoy eating the wonderful, nutritious meat they provide. I have standing instructions from my wife to harvest something other than a big buck. She grew up on a farm and the most desirable farm animal to go on the table is the younger animals. Deer are no different.

I have heard Tim Liesmiester talk on radio about how he is puzzled about reluctance to shoot fawns.

Those that are in that group that refuse to shoot any antlerless deer, can you give some insight on why you refuse to shoot an antlerless no matter what the circumstances? This includes a mature doe by herself in the last few minutes of shooting time on the last day of the season.

Not looking to start a big fight, just wondering why, and have you thought it thru recently why you have that mindset. I think it goes back to the buck only system and doe permits of the 70's combined with antler mania.

lakevet

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am suprised at the percentage! Our group also is for shooting any legal deer, some are being more selective on young bucks now.

As to your questtion about reasons why, I think alot of hunter were brought up during the 70's-early 90's when it was bucks only and lottery state wide. They were feed the protect the does so the population grows ideology. Once you are taught to think one way it hard to change. I also think there is more and more trophy/buck hunters out now. Meat, unfortunatly, is less of the reason to hunt.

Our group is made up of "last weekend freezer fillers". The men stick to the QDM bucks and the women and children are the only ones allowed to take the does and yearlings. If a family hasn't filled their freezer, then the last weekend is fair game. Works well for us. Keeps the wives and kids interested while giving the does and fawns a "head start". It also keeps the does in check.

I am guessing this is a firearms related survey.... ??

I wont shoot a doe with my rifle unless its wounded. I save my anterless tags for archery and muzzy.

I dont believe for one second that 40% of all hunters in general will not shoot a doe..... No way.

If this report is covering all methods of hunting, its total B$ in my opinion.

Those number sound way too high.

Sometimes answers are taken out of context or questions misunderstood which can falsify results which is what I'm guessing happened here.

I prefer to hunt for mature bucks myself but I love venison. The zone that I mainly hunt out of is a one deer zone and I have to face the fact that most years I will probably not get my buck. So I supplement that by trying to hunt in bonus deer areas and shoot an antler-less deer or two and then wait for my buck.

here's the direct quote:

Quote:
"According to our surveys, about 40 percent of Minnesota deer hunters will never harvest an antlerless deer," he says. "Many hunters grew up in a tradition of harvesting bucks only. They'd rather go home empty-handed."

A few years back I would of read 40% and replied "no way, everyone I hunt with whacks 'em and stacks 'em." But after participating in a couple of special hunts with other hunters I think 40% is accurate, and also a very high percentage won't take more than one deer. During these special hunts we have had unlimited antlerless tags, and are asked by the coordinators to help control the deer population. Yet, I have witnessed many folks passing on antlerless deer with only having intentions of shooting Mr. Big. It is frustrating, as I drive by the area on a regular basis seeing roadkills very often.

Why only bucks? Part of it must be that some only want to shoot trophy antlers for the wall. Some of it may be that folks don't process the deer themselves, and aren't willing to pay $70 for a small deer to be processed.

I wonder how many would not shoot more than one deer (not two bucks) a year if given the chance? 75%?

Also shocked at that very high number, I doubt it would be that high if they talked to everyone in the state. Then again I know guys who have had both doe and buck tags in there pocket, had a doe and buck come in on them and shoot the spiker every time.

There isnt much that anyone can say to convince me that this 40% number is even CLOSE to a real number. First off, I dont believe its a statement for all hunting methods. I am guessing its related to firearms only hunting. But even then, I still dont believe it.

harvest2010.jpg

I think you guys just need something to complain about...

So there are going to be a lot more deer if more people target bucks; but isn't that good for you "if it's brown it's down" guys? You have a pretty good problem on your hands, an over population of something that you love to hunt. If this causes too many issues, leave it up to the DNR to fix it with the tags/licensing system.

What makes America great is you can do what you want for the reasons you want. If Joe wants to shoot trophy deer, who are we to stop him? Doesn't he have that right? There are far bigger issues in the environment (and world).

Now go outside and enjoy our beautiful warm weather smile

I hunt bucks only the first week and then any adult deer after that. I did not shoot one this year as the only adult doe I saw all season was opening weekend. 20+ fawns after that. I will not intentionally shoot a fawn just to kill a deer.

Yet, I have witnessed many folks passing on antlerless deer with only having intentions of shooting Mr. Big. It is frustrating, as I drive by the area on a regular basis seeing roadkills very often.

This of course brings up a whole new debate, of the 40% I would think most of them are the meat hunters who prefer to shoot a young buck over a doe. Most of the "trophy" hunters I know shoot a lot more does then bucks.

I think you guys just need something to complain about...

So there are going to be a lot more deer if more people target bucks; but isn't that good for you "if it's brown it's down" guys? You have a pretty good problem on your hands, an over population of something that you love to hunt. If this causes too many issues, leave it up to the DNR to fix it with the tags/licensing system.

What makes America great is you can do what you want for the reasons you want. If Joe wants to shoot trophy deer, who are we to stop him? Doesn't he have that right? There are far bigger issues in the environment (and world).

Now go outside and enjoy our beautiful warm weather smile

I don't think anyone was complaining about anything. Certainly not to the point of deserving this antagonistic post.

judging by some of the trailers i see coming back from up north i find 40% high as well in our group we each have one extra doe tag why waste it, if you have one tag i can see that becomes more of a problem but it seems half the state was managed or intensive for awhile.

I'm not all that surprised. It used to be bucks only for many years. I know of a few that would rather shoot a yearling buck than a nice succulent doe. In areas of low deer densities, taking a doe means 3 fewer deer the next year. I think it's this mentality that keeps some people from harvesting anterless deer. I know of some who just won't shoot a doe no matter what. They'll pass up countless does and finally either drop a forkhorn or eat their tag. They'd rather go home empty-handed than tell everyone they shot a doe. I'm one of the 60% that enjoys shooting and eating venison though and if given an opporunity and a tag, I'll be releasing an arrow.

Who knows, I look for the toughest challenges in life and to blast does and fawns that live in my yard and from my yard nearly year round especially after dark, just doesn't do it for me, I'm near deer daily. My hunting season would last about 30 minutes each year, plus I hunt alone so I don't have the party tags to draw from, so it's a 3.5 year old buck or older, if I were totally desperate financially I wouldn't hunt at all and I wouldn't be able to live in the country and wouldn't have the internet expense. I don't think the amount of meat I'd take off a fawn justifies me harvesting it, I'd have more goose in the freezer than veni, it would be easier to drag out though. 3.5 bucks don't just show themselves often, often you need to figure out how you're going to make it happen and that's kinda hunting to me.

How many of us were given the questionnaire ? Not I. I've harvested enough deer and am at the point in my career where I simply need to be challenged at deer hunting. Why do they have a 48" musky minimum ? People want trophy's. Why at Mite hockey tourney's do they pass out medals and goody bags, report cards in school, blue,red,white ribbons or gold silver bronze, big buck or big fish contests, mn deer classic, many doe or fawn mounts at that event, it's the way we're geared maybe ? There's much much moreis it cooler to climb inspiration peak or Mount everest, ok I'm loosing myself lol.