• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I hope to tap my trees on Friday....that is if our baby does not show up before then! Should be an interesting second season for me between a newborn and a flood making my three mile drive fifteen. Oh well, too much fun to miss. I have a partner to help me cook this year, so that will help.

How many taps do you all plan on having out? I am going to do 40 and my friend will have the same out.

Tapping a 100 or so friday just north of duluth. Got a new 2x8 evap cant wait to use it. Have a good sappin season everyone!! [/qu

I wish I could tyeeme! Somebody else allready has leased both of the maple tree's in Warroad! laugh 1DIRTBALL wink

i'm up in northern itasca. kicked the buckets around but don't think it's gonna break here yet. hate having them scabbed over. but you guys are getting me worried. but it seems about the time mcgarth is about 3/4 of the way through i better have my brace and bit sharpened. maybe i'll poke one for fun tomorrow. (not one in the open)

jason

we have made about 10 gallons so far of syrup. and yes we had to dump all of our buckets on the ground after the last storm to start out fresh again. there is another post in the Cooking section. good luck and have fun

Thanks.....most of the trees are about a ft. It is on the outskirts of the big woods so there are hundreds of trees but they are close together and have more length than girth. Was just googling and noticed you can tap silvers and box elders....has anyone tried this? I have a ton of those out my back door and would not have to drive a couple of hours for those.

Thanks again! Just went out and bought 25 taps and tubing. Still need to figure out a collecting set up, as I was not willing to drop 20 bucks for each 2 gallon pail. Have always wanted to do this and glad I saw this post. If someone would be gracious enough to answer a few questions when it comes time to reduce the sap, that would also be appecicated.

put 76 taps out yesterday. they dripped for 2 minutes and quit. but it's too cold at night yet. should let loose by tomorrow here if the weather man is right.(which he seldom is)

so will try to get another 75 or so out today.

maybe a victim will stop by today and they can help wrestle the boiler and pans and firewood into position.

In my area the lack of sun this afternoon seemed to slow them down some, but not completely. Best days this year so far were Tuesday and Wednesday, I believe they were still going this morning. Will start boiling again tomorrow, we have around 400 gallons of sap to burn off, so a slow day or two would not bother me right now.