• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new to an area

bassNspear

so i moved up to the st cloud/little falls area, and dont know a whole lot about these lakes up here. im not looking for spots at all, but just wondering if you all can help me out with some fun lakes to go out and catch some bass.

thanks for the information!

Good luck with the move BNS. If you ever make the drive up to the Brainerd area let me know. I'll do my best to help. When I was in school at SCSU we fished the lakes out towards Cold Spring and down towards Clearwater Lake a little bit.

Jason Erlandson

I too am an alum from SCSU and I'll second what Jason said although I spent most of my time fishing the sauk river and some parts of the Mississipi for walleyes and smallies. The Horse shoe chain has good Bass populations as do several lakes just west of St.Cloud around Cold Spring and Avon. Also a couple others in the other direction, Briggs and Little Rock produce fish. In my experience around there not as much pressure on the Large mouths when compared to the west metro area. Congrats on the move Bass n Spear. I really liked living around there.

Yup. The first couple guys have it covered. Horseshoe Chain out of Cold Spring/Richmond. There's a lot of info to be had in the St Cloud regional forum.

My wife and I moved our camp down to the Watkins area so we're not directly on the chain anymore. So, I'm looking forward to moving around a bit this year. There's Rice Lake which is supposed to have smallies, Koronis Lake, Eden Lake... Looking forward to some pond hopping for sure.

BnS, I will speak for the Little Falls area as I know it best. The biggest lakes around here are Alex, Sham, and Fish Trap, I feel Fish Trap is the best Bass lake of the three. The Mississippi both south and north of LF is as good as it gets for 16"-20" smallmouth. Really most of the lakes in the morrison/Todd county area are very good bass lakes, most are 150-300 acres so most will not be named. I suggest stocking up on Red Shad plastics they can't be beat in this area. If interested this summer, I would be more than happy to give up some lakes to you. Just let me know.

Big Fish Lake and Grand Lake can be dynamite for numbers of decently sized fish. Pearl has some pigs in it. Clearwater, as someone has already said. Heck, the Spunk lakes around Avon are good for numbers and size. It's a great area for catching fish, frankly, and that's not including the river, which is full of big brown bass. Welcome to the area! smile

There's Rice Lake which is supposed to have smallies, Koronis Lake, Eden Lake... Looking forward to some pond hopping for sure.

Not like I'm giving up secrets, but Rice and Koronis offer a great mix of greens and browns. I'm far from a skilled bass angler but I have done quite well out there. There are both numbers and size; I've had a few days where a 5 fish bag would have been over 90 inches with a mix of greens and browns, best being 95" with the biggest fish hooked up tossing the jig.

Eden is fun, so is the Chain, with a couple others I won't mention....this is totally bringing on a case of Spring Fever.