• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best tomatoes

gman2002

We can a bunch every year and like to get it all done with. They are also easy to take care of. I've thought throwing another variety, something that will produce sooner but similar in taste yet easy to grow.

Did I say I'm a simple man

Yeah that's one of the exhausting things about growing 20-24 San Marzano plants... 90% of every plant I harvest is canned for the winter to spare me the horror of eating grocery store tomatoes for as long as I can.

But San Marzano is an indeterminate... Giant plants 6-8 feet tall, so I constantly have to re-stake and truss them. And by late August I'm exhausted from doing a canning batch every 2-3 days!

I tried my first heirloom tomatoes last year.....Black Krim and Carbon.Loved the taste.

This year I am planting both again along with Pruden's Purple,Pineapple,Amana Orange,and Gold Medal.

Plus paste tomatoes.....Black Plum and San Marzano.

Grape tomatoe.....Lidi.

Then my regulars....Lemon Boy,Taxi,Legend,Saucey,and Beaverlodge.

Can't wait to get started.

Wow, that's a little early!

I usually start my first tomatoes around March 7th-14th... And when it comes to planting time they are usually between 14 and 20 inches tall (Depending on type)

planting this early you're going to have to do some serious potting up... And might even need to stake them in the pot before transplanting.

See the only times I've had a lot of love from my harvest by going super early on tomatoes has been during really warm early springs. Since soil temps below 60 degrees cause them to force flower and then under 60 degrees they tend to drop the flowers rather than set fruit.

I've had a lot of times where going too early gave me fruit 10% sooner, but cost me 25% production on the plant.

But I suppose if you're pre-warming the soil with hot boxes and we don't have a rogue cold snap after you plant them, then the gamble pays off huge!

In general yellow tomatoes have less acidity and more sugar... So that makes them great for eating out of hand, but a pain to store etc...

I've got a yellow cross of a glacier tomato that I'm calling "Pony Boy" which is a nice small yellow salad slicer.

My warming of the soil is simple but a but unsightly. I use old tires and put a section of an aluminum storm window over them held down my a tarp strap. All stuff I pick up at the local landfill. It warms the soil nicely.

Yeah it seems like the best gardeners are always the best scavengers!

laugh

I built an entire greenhouse for free from a guy who was trying to get ride of some old windows. The price was that I had to remove them so he could install his new ones. The funny thing was that he didn't know how to remove them or install the new ones... So I basically left him with a house full of gaping holes and a roll of duct tape!

Not that I'm aware of... But of course I save my own seeds year after year after year... I do know of one nursery that sells "Black King" heirloom tomatoes... Which is just smooth skinned variety of Black Krim.

But other than buying them on line through a place like tomatofest, the only place I'm aware of the seeds existing is in my seed archive etc...

I was trying to eliminate shipping for a single packet of seeds.

I found a place that offered a free seed of there choice so I ordered the krims and they sent me some free eva purple ball seeds at no charge was like 5.25 for two seed packets and shipping cheaper than burpee or gurneys