• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Armor X or Frabill Snosuit

gonehunting

Looking to purchase a new ice suit and am looking at the Ice Armor X or Frabill Snosuit. Is one better than the other? I know the Snosuit is a little pricey but I found the bibs tonight for $169.00. Any opinions on either of the suits? There is some good sales out there now being the end of the ice season.

On a cold winter day, it's me and my snowmobile pulling my portable fish house. I drill a number of holes to find some fish, using my flasher, my camera, and my gps I stand outside until I see a glimmer of hope and then I set up. The ride, the hunt, and then setup are all possible because I am warm. On those cold days I am wearing Snosuit. Comfortable with good arm flexibility design and good knee and tush padding. It makes for a nice riding suit and fishing suit. I really like mine. Sometimes it is more warmth than I need, but that may have a thing or two to do with my weight! Snosuit all the way for me.

Yes I have found it to be too warm for some of my ice fishing needs. Now if Im going to go on a long sled ride in cold temps to fish than a Sno Suit is ideal. Its also a great snowmobiling suit when not fishing.

Most days I wear my AA and layer so if I get warm I can take parts off if needed.

Many good suits out there these days. I ghly recomend trying a bunch on because they all fit a bit differently.

The snosuit and the Ice armor are not even in the same ballpark as far as warmth would go. Are you sure your talking about the Snosuit or frabill XFE suit? In terms of warmth the reasurch I did earlier this year went like this:

#1: Frabill Snosuit

#2: was a major tie between all the rest of them.

I am also looking at a Frabill Sno Suit too. But my other option has been the Arctic Armor Plus Bib/Parka. The AA Plus seems to have better insulation then the older AA suits from their description.

I have tried the Sno Suit on but picking it up feels heavy.

Sno Suits are much heavier.

If the Frabill sno suits are similar to the original snosuits, then the majority of the weight comes from the neoprene inserts (padding) in the knees and A$$. Both area's are removable if you must reduce the weight.

I have both the black/blue and X clam suits. The black/blue suit was bought the year they hit the market and it's help up quite well.

The X suit was bought about a month in a half ago and just got it back from the seamstress today. The first week of using it a seam lot loose on the jacket and the inner seam on the leg let go about a foot in a half. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his bottom.

I'm totaly done with anything that says Clam on it. $349.99 for a suit that can't hold the seam for a week? What a joke.

Was at Thorneb's today getting a couple custom ice rods/reels and found the Frabil snosuits are half off! They didn't have an XL in the red or gray but they took my name if they come across one. IF I can score one I'll sell my X suit for a couple hundred bucks next Winter. Then will be tempted to sell the X2 and upgrade to a new frabil or otter house.

Dont have either, but a friend of mine has tried to get me to get the SnoSuit. Those things are so warm and dry its amazing! Also the arctic armor from what ive been reading isnt bad whistle

Thanks for all the help. Purchased the Frabill Snosuit bibs today for $170 and found a new Farbill Snosuit jacket on the "list by Craig" for $200. Just a heads up for anyone looking Wholesale Sports Outfitters(formerly Sportsmans Warehouse - Fargo) has the black Frabill Icesuit on sale 30% off for price of $262.00, originally $350.00. They had M, L, XL, and 2XL left in this model. Also 25% off fishhouses, 15% off augers, 15% off electronics, 30% off rods/combos, 25% off jigs. Alot of good deals. Gander Mt. has 10-20% off new augers, 15% off ice fishing electronics.

Lots of great deals if you hunt around, or at right place at right time.

Picked up my SnowSuit jacket & bibs $300 for the whole setup - 50% off. All ice clothing at 50% off (ice fishing suites, gloves/mits, hats, etc) - Clam/Ice Armour, Frabill, Vexilar. I think most of their other ice fishing stuff was 20-30% off. They still had a lot of stock.

LAKER...you going to share your source?

thornebros.

You may want to call before you drive there as more than likely the Frabil Snosuits at $300 are flying off the racks.

BTW, thanks NC for having an extra XL top!!!

Also now have an ice fishing eye witness to how cheap the Clam X suit is. Within 3 hours on the ice today had the left leg seam completely rip out.

Now the hunt is on for a clearance Snosuit bibs, gray xl.

Update,

Called F/Farm just now and they said they will refund the purchase of the x suit. I looked the suit over and found another seam starting to rip on the hood!

In a nut shell here's what's occured with the suit in about 10 uses.

Both the right and left inner thigh seam has ripped about a foot to a foot in a half long.

The seam on the jacket on the left lower portion ripped about 6 inches.

The seam on the jacket hood has ripped about an inch.

A couple of the reflective sections are starting to come apart at the seam as well.

6-7 different seam failures in 10 uses? Complete GARBAGE!!!

Called my friend who's got the exact same issues and trying to talk him into returning it rather than deal with Clam who will only replace at best, NO return. Problem is right now they are out of stock so not really sure what they would do. Sort of doubt they would send it back to China to have the seams redone.

Anybody with a X suit bought this year should really look it over good and if there are seam issues find your receipt and return it.

LAKER...you going to share your source?

thornebros.

Thats the one! Tested mine last night ... Very impressed with the quality. It is nice having a jacket that doesn't have all the bulk of the typical ice fishing jackets. Would easily work for a everyday or multi-purpose jacket/suit (e.g. snowmobiling, etc).