• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 inch worms or bigger

apegs

Alot of articles I read tend to pertain to southern fishing and it seems like they always use big worms. Around 10 inches or more. The biggest I have ever used is 6 inches. Do any of you guys ever use these bigger worms maybe for a bigger bite ? Seems like a big worm for the size of bass in MN.

i do not target bass that much and honestly have caught a lot of very large bass while fishing for panfish. that said i am in the bigger fish bigger bait camp, and see no reason why a 10 inch worm, over the long haul, would not catch bigger fish. just got to go out and try it and have confidence in it.

I am not afraid to use big tackle ,And have alot of confidence in doing so

keep in mind time and place is usually pretty imnportant.

I have caught bass on 8 inch swim baits when conditions are right.

and purchase my 10" worms in 100 ct. bags as far big worms go theres only a couple colors I'll use, red shad and black, youd be suprised evan smallies get infatuated

with them at times.

Ive had lots of succuss with the 7" Berkley Power Worms, T-Rigged. I mostly use the natural colors and have caught most of my biggest bass on them. I have used the 10" Power Worm, but have not had as much succuss, as the 7". Im pretty sure they work though.

Match the hatch! Larger worms usually work better later in the year when all bait fish are larger. I've used 10" worms quite a bit in August or September, you do have to give them a little more time with it. I don't think larger worms have caught larger bass but they don't seem to shy away from it one bit.

Big worm bigger fish to say that a 10'' worm is big for Mn bass is funny look at some of the pic's guys put up on here alot of 4-5-6 pound fish if that isnt a big bass than i dont know why i fish for bass! t-rig big weight and carolina are great with the big worms you just have to let the fish take the worm a bit longer than the smaller worms dont get me wrong there is a time and a place for them but imo some of my best bass each year come off big plastic baits!Buy some throw it out and see what happens is what i say!

I use them but you need a trailer hook. Caught many dinks with a trailer hook, lots of 3-4lbs and many pikes. However biggest bass I've caught were off 1/8oz black & blue jigs and King Daddy Spro Frogs.

The worm does have a place and time. Try it b/c nothing is ever too big.

The fall is the time of year for the big worm, last year I had a some succses with the Strike King 10 inch Anaconda. It has just a ton of action. The post spawn is also a good time for the big worms. Often times I feel the fish are a bit slugish and are looking for that big meal. I feel that most baits on the market work, I hear peple say oh those don't work! They may not work as well during certain times of year, but there is a place and time for almost everything in your box.

My biggest bass and muskie fell for the 10" worm. I even caught a 14" crappie on a 10"er with a 5/0 worm hook once. smile

And I'm never really surprised on how small of a bass will try and take down a 10"er. I've sent them flying twenty feet thru the air on a gorilla hook set before. wink

You do not need a trailer hook. A ten inch worm is one of the most effective baits for larger bass when water temps get over 80 degrees. Use the worm anywhere you'd use a smaller worm. only difference is you need to use a larger EWG worm hook #5 or #6. The worm itself is very soft and will easily be sucked into the LARGE mouth of a largemouth when their metabolism is all jacked up. Remember they are endothermic (cold blooded) so when the water is warm they have to eat. Large profiles basically just have that much more appeal when the water is warm and the weather has been stable. On second thought.... no, don't use them. They don't work at all.... lol.

If your not using 10-inch worms all summer long you are missing out on some great bites. I go thru dozens of bags of Rage Anaconda and Thumper worms from Strike King. Presently they don't come in 50 or 100 count bags, so you need to purchase individual bags with a 6 or 7-count depending on which one you purchase.

I fish tournaments so trailer hook is a must for 10" worms and spinners. I can see if you live down south you wouldn't need a trailer hook on a 10" worm. However, over the years I find the average MN Bass aren't quite big enough for 10" worms. Before using trailer hooks (exposed or unexposed) I get many nibbles and lose so many fish. After putting on a trailer hook, I get many fish averaging 2.5lb to 3lbs. Also, some days when fish aren't so aggressive, they'll just nibble the tail and spit it back out but whatever works for you. If you're fishing tournaments, you'll do every little thing just to put fish in the boat.

I don't use a trailer hook either and I fish tournaments. But I also don't just go out and throw a 10" worm on any given day. You have to know if there are bigger fish in the lake and if they are active. If I'm throwing a 10" worm and they are just biting the tail, I will switch to a 7" worm instead. I know they can get bigger fish, but you have to let the fish and the situation tell you when to use them.

Cecil, you're right. Knowing when to throw one is knowledge which one must acquired. Wish I knew. For me if something bites I like to know what it is even if its a dink. This will also tell me if I need to move from the dinks. Trailer hooks will assure me without a question what it could have been, what it was, etc.

Overall, trailer hooks or none, 10" worms will attract the big ones.

Maybe this is a silly question or statement but I don't think I've ever heard of a trailer hook on a t-rigged worm. Is it exposed? I toss alot of my t-rigged worms 6,7, or 10's into reeds, slop, hydrilla, Milfoil etc.

So a trailer would be a problem I think. Also, wouldn't a trailer hook empede action? Honestly, I've never heard of that approach. Could ya post a pic. I'd like to see what it looks like. I guess while carolina rigging I spose it could work... ?

I have never heard or seen a trailer hook used with these as well especially if the idea is to keep it t-rigged. I think with a 4-5/0 hook it is unnecessary. If anyone uses a trailer for this I would consider making the hook barbless. Its a gut hook waiting to happen!

I rig it weedless(unexposed). Gamakatsu size 2. Obviously single hook. Treble hook and you're reeling in grass all day. Swim or Tx-Rig its worked for me. You guys are assuming it will gut hook a fish, etc...yet you've never tried it, typical. This isn't my go to lure but I've fished it for years and have never gut hooked a fish. Maybe you need a more sensitive rod. =)

i won some HUGE 12" straight tail worms from uptons customs out of cali. they are like a giant version of roboworms, they float and all that. crazily good action! but i can never think of when i would use em. or how to fish them effectively.

this post really help! never thought of doing a trailer hook on em!