• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top Water Worms

apegs

Has anyone ever experimented with these ? There are times when I'm fishing a senko in the summer time and they explode on it on the surface during the retrieve. I have only seen bits and pieces of info on floating worms. Like to hear if they work.

I haven't used floating worms, but always have a pkg. of bubble gum floating lizards handy in the summer time. They can be awesome in and around weeds, or if the fish are higher in the water colum and want something a little slower. You can work it into an area, then just let them slowly fall. Bass will go for them as will northern, and ?? ( i even had a flathead go for one!)

For a topwater bite like you're describing I always use a fluke or another floating plastic. I'll often throw a fluke after a miss on a Spook or Sammy as well. The other alternative is to burn a weightless worm across the water if they are real active.

Hiya -

Floating worms and lizards are a hoot in the slop sometimes.

One of the best topwater plastics though is a tube with a piece of styrofoam stuffed inside it. Texas rig it around weeds, or on a straight shank with the hook exposed. Awesome for smallies around shallow rocks when it's calm, and LMB like it too.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

20-years ago "floating worms" were all the rage. Times have changed and now I'm dating myself on age. Now you hear them referred to as "trick worms". I still use them in the late spring/early summer before the shallows become weed choked. Once the weeds develope I think there are better applications. I've always fished them with a spinning rod/reel combination. Using mono and when braid came along I switched to braid. My primary colors are white,pink and fluorescent orange. Rig is pretty basic, small swivel(black)on the braid, then mono. on the other end of swivel and 12 to 16-inches down the line a 2/0 off-set worm hook. Long casts and in shallow water with the bright colored worms you can usually see the pick-up.