• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buckshot dropper spoon

fisherman-andy

Anyone know where I can still get some locally metro? I figure I could modify the original Northland buckshot to look like the dropper. Im also tempted to modify the lindy rattle flyer with this concept too.

Has anyone had good success with buckshot dropper?

would think the chain stores have or will start stocking them. have not used the buckshot dropper, but have recently modified flyers and varmits with a piece of mono and usually a small teardrop jig. would think they would also be a great lure for anytime you use a vertical presentation in open water as well.

sorry for the cellphone shot....yeah if you already own the Lindy flyer or JB's varmits, just make them yourself. been up on mille lacs all year and have caught eyes, perch, tullibee, and crappie all off this set up. actually you have many more options with the action on the bait if you do make them yourself.

full-27018-6687-2011_03_08_17_39_28_545.

yes to both. I got my chain droppers at Mills. Word of caution with those droppers. Don't horse the fish. Both my dad and I broke ours out Tullibee fishing.

Andy, the chain is made by Nils-Master. It's called a Hali I think.

Kind of a specialty item, but I've seen them at several different places. I know a couple buddies bought them at Meleens our last trip up to ML.

I've wondered about those.....are the chains necessary? Will plain old mono droppers work as well?

Yes, mono does work too. It's a matter of convienience I guess. Plus the gold and siver chains might add a little extra flash.

Nice part about mono is that you can make it whatever length you want.

I use a similar rig to those pictured. Except with flourocarbon and Kali (sp) snaps on the small jig end of the line so I can switch out jigs easily. Also, there is no reason to remove the treble from the spoon as it ads some noise and once in a while a fish will strike the spoon too.

Swimmer the reason for taking the treble off is because if you keep it on it makes it illegal. I just dont want someone to get a ticket !

Should still fall in the realm of an artifical lure i would think...could be wrong, but i remove the treble anyway because i'd think the dropper would just tangle in the trebble hook.

The dropper will just tangle in the treble hook. Less likely to catch anything with a tangled up lure.

Even if you fish two lures, it's still two lures as long as you're using the one line where legal to do so.

If you drop it down smoothly, they won't tangle. If it does tangle you can easily see this on your flasher (or in my case, Ice Machine).

So the burning question is: is it legal or not?

this is what it says on page 9 of the 2011 regs:

anglers may use only one hook. an ariticial lure is considered one hook. a treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and not legal. the exception is that three artificial flies may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass. good luck.

You can use this concept on any kind of fish. Works great when the bite is slow...saved a trip to LOTW for me two weeks ago. Main difference between what I was doing and what's posted is that I was using a spoon with a 16-18" flouro leader to a pink hook with a full minnow on it. Raise the spoon/minnow up a foot or two, then jig the spoon down just above the fluttering minnow as it sinks. While others were struggling to catch fish, I was struggling to get the hooks out of their throat!