• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice auger question

I am going to buy a eskimo auger. They have 3 different engine sizes but they all turn at 8000 rpm . I was thinking the 43cc or 51cc. If they are turning the same rpms do you guys think the larger motors will cut any faster?

My auger has a 1.35 HP engine and cuts as fast or faster than 3hp ones. RPM/HP are somewhat meaningless on paper. A good cutting head with a small motor will drill as fast and easy as more HP?RPM, combine the good cutting head and RPM you have a winner regardless of HP.

rpms are a huge factor in the cutting speed of the auger. most augers are designed to shave the ice. the engine rpms are differnt than the rpm at the cutting head. horse power would be a bigger concern if the blades were designed to take a big bite but they are not they are designed to shave you could have the sharpest blades possible if your auger is only turning 100 rpms you are not going to get anywhere fast now if you have a good head and sharp blades and they are turning 300 rpms you have something. The gear box is geared to the motor less horsepower smaller gears more horse power taller gears. just because the different size motors are turning the same rpm at the power head does not mean they are turning the same rpms at the cutting head.

You will not be disappointed with a Viper powered Eskimo. They start easy and the design of the auger and blades make it easy to drill in any type of situation. It will never wobble on you cause of the design. I recommend the Mako or z51 models. The quantum blades have better life and less prone to damage then other brands. Plus u can re-open holes. Some people give u the impression that they aren't fast. Don't be fooled, it's not how fast it spins but how well it cut that matters. My Solo lazer pro 8" bit barely out drills my z51 9" bit.

Ardisam is local in WI and have excellent customer service. They also have great ice hubs too!

My Solo lazer pro 8" bit barely out drills my z51 9" bit.

That is because you over tightened your blades and threw off the pitch. wink

A properly functioning lazer pro would drill circles around your Z51.

\

No kidding! My buddy with a Lazer pro cuts thru ice nearly twice as fast as I can with the Eskimo.

I have had 2 Eskimos and was/am very happy with the cost/performance ratio. (of course my cost was the ticket at the contest) The current one I used to drill more than 180 holes on a tank of gas and it never faltered.

That is because you over tightened your blades and threw off the pitch. wink

Wrong.. before I tightened the blades and threw the pitch off we tested or used it right out of the box on more than 3 fishing trips. Plus Strikemaster mentions nothing about how tight the blades should be per instructions.

It is not that much faster, by maybe split second or second from my own experience comparison. No pressure applied to either auger and the Z51 has 2 years on its blades ahead already. So running circles is a bit of an exaggeration and misconception on comparison. The z51 was a 9" bit vs the 8" bit on the Solo and we did this on Upper Red lake. Let me mention this wasnt also the first time I had already used an Solo before purchasing one, so I am very aware of how a solo should already cut.

The lake and ice condition are going to dictate the cutting speeds. I admit the Solo spins fast and it looks like its cutting fast. But on my own experience the blades on the Z51 seem more efficient drilling downwards even though its slower. Maybe its just me? Maybe others with considerable experience with similiar or same augers can chime in. Please dont compare the old outdated augers. We already know the new ones are faster.

I think the solo is great and im very happy with the purchase, but I am tired of the misconceptions. No pun intended. For the price and performance the Eskimo Viper powered Augers are unmatched currently for the bargain ice angler.

I just raced one a couple weeks ago with my Solo LazerMag and drilled 1.5 to 1. My blades are 2 years old, the Eskimo? Brand new.

Don't get me wrong...I think Eskimo makes a great auger and is a great deal for the money...not ripping them at all. I was just trying to give you a hard time for throwing the pitch off and comparing it to an Eskimo.

I just raced one a couple weeks ago with my Solo LazerMag and drilled 1.5 to 1. My blades are 2 years old, the Eskimo? Brand new.

Don't get me wrong...I think Eskimo makes a great auger and is a great deal for the money...not ripping them at all. I was just trying to give you a hard time for throwing the pitch off and comparing it to an Eskimo.

I know, I felt dumb that tightening blades would throw the pitch off. However StrikeMaster never mentions how tight they should be. Just to tightened them down. The blades would not grab ice properly and left me scratching my head. After adjusting the bolts on the blades it seems to be grabbing and cutting by its own weight again. All I did was loosen and tighten the bolts till I feel it felt secure.

But im interested in which Eskimo auger you were up against. The Z51/Z71 on an 8 bit aint no slouch. I've seen the Eskimo Z71 on a laser 224 bit on youtube and it shreds hard! Im sure if the RPMs were up from 8K to like 9K or 10K it'll give the Solos a serious run for performance and still be in dollar value.

But then again like I said speed isnt always whats the value. Half a hole quicker isnt fast unless your drilling 3 to 1. Depending on the ice condition one would be in, I felt the Eskimo's were the all around better auger at the moment. Eats less gas too. smile

Dad, brother and I all switched to Eskimo last year at the begining of the season. Dad (Z71) Bro (z51) an I with the Mako 43. All good machines. I have found that the 43 is a bit lighter and easier to use and as far as the cutting speed the bigger two are a bit faster but only amounts to getting fishing a few seconds earlier than I. All in all great augers. Got over 200 holes on mine so far and never had to pull it more than twice.

I hope this is still on topic of the "ice auger question".

I will be looking for a new auger for next year. I like the slower blade and flight speed mentioned above, so I dont throw ice chips all over the inside of my house. My current auger makes a nice pile just outside the hole and I can scoop it away. Are there any of these new high powered augers that still turn the bit thorugh the gearbox slow enough to keep your house clean? Or do you have to get one of those Hoggers to keep the house clean with the new augers?

Thanks for the help.