• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

male or female gsp pup?

Hammertime

The hard part is over, i found a great breeding, but now I need to choose male or female? Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to spay or neuter as soon as i can. The dog will live in the house with us, and we have a female boxer who is 3 years old. She gets along with other dogs just fine. I also have a 2 boys, ages 3 and 4. I understand that males are larger dogs and females are smaller. Any other input will be appreciated. I have to let them know soon to save my spot.

Its all personal preference. If you can spend some time around both males and females as adults you should get an idea of what you like and dislike about both and then make your decision from there.

THats how I decided on a male when picking my vizsla. I just liked the personality of the males a little more, so far I think i picked pretty well.

I have one of each Winnie my female is two and fenwick my male will be two in April. I can't imagine not having both of them but i feel my next one will be a male. They are both house dogs but obviously love to be outside, Winnie is more affectionate but also requires more attention. Wick is content just hanging out in the house. My wife even says that Winnie is a little sassy.

In the field they both hold their own, I think I spent more time working with Winnie but they both point, retrieve and love to swim. When Winnie tires out in the field wick kicks it into fifth gear, he seems to have more stamina even though he is about 85 healthy pounds.

Im sure you will make the choice that is right for you, these are just my observations of both my male

and female. My wife absolutely loves both of them. When we started dating five years ago she told me their was no way she would ever shoot anything. After her first twenty minutes in the field with us we

had to go back to the truck to get her a shotgun. I figure only a gsp could have that affect on a

woman!

Good luck.

My experiences with german breeds is that the females tend to be easier to train. Probably goes for most breeds as well. They tend to be a bit more timid when it comes to discipline. Also, the males I've worked with seem to hunt for themselves, where as the females tend to try and "please" more. The females I've owned didn't lack anything in terms of field work. Exceptions to every rule, though!

Like stated above, if you've found a breeder that breeds dogs for your type of hunting, then half the problems will be taken care of with that. The training will resolve any others.

I believe you are going to have mixed attitudes as well as demeanors in both females as well as males. My female (Lab) is more independant but a very quick learner, but she also has a bit of "attitude" to her too. My male Gsp listens real well with out much correction and ultimately wants to please. However he is what we call a "needy boy" constantly wanting attetion and being the center of everything. A friends Gsp male wont even look at anyone, he just looks forward. Her female Gsp is quite smaller and is very friendly and loves attention.

You are generally going to have a smaller dog with a female, that should be a constant unless it is over fed. Males have a rap for the potential for aggressiveness, but you can get that in some females also.

The attitude, demeanor, intelligence of the individual dog will depend on the breeding and the characteristics you choose to look for when you pick your pup. Any dog, male or female could have a box of rocks upstairs, its up to you to do your homework in picking the breeder and the pup in the litter that seems to posses the characteristics that you like.

Whether you choose male or female, I strongly believe the influences of training that you provide from a young age will have more of an influence on the dog personality than what sex the dog is.