• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clogged Injectors

asdfdrew

I'm usually on the fishing side of the forum but looking for some bike advice. I have a 2007 Honda Shadow that I let sit most of the winter, she'll start but dies when I give it throttle. It will idle for a little bit and then start spitting gas from the overflow. After talking to a buddy I'm assuming bad gas and clogged injectors - Is this something that needs to go into a shop or just find a bike guy on FM or [Note-from-admin-Please-don't-send-folks-there] to teach me? I'd like to learn what do to myself just not sure if it's too much for a home d-i-y'er. What do you think? Thanks in advance, Andy.

I've not had the opportunity/necessity to work on any of the fuel injected models yet.

Are you sure it is a fuel injected motorcycle? I was thinking they were still carbureted then.

If it is in fact carbureted, then it likely needs the carbs cleaned thoroughly. It may not be something to tackle yourself if you haven't done them before, but its doable with patience and some direction. They are somewhat more complicated than snowmobile carbs, as they also have vacuum chambers and other adjustments involved.

Yah no I think you're right on the carb, and that's why I was confused as well. The injector lingo had me thinking it wasn't just cleaning out a carb and there was more involved. I'm more of a tech guy but try to learn what I can now that I've got a bike. thanks.

How did you store the bike? That is, how did you care for the fuel before you put the bike into storage? IF you did nothing to the fuel, I'd add some seafoam to pull any water out that may have gotten in there.

I have this bike and it sounds a lot like a cold motor...mine does this exact thing before its fully warmed up even in the summer. What it is in my opinion is there is too much fuel for the cylinder to properly burn off and you temporarily flood it. I'd wait until the temps get up and let it run for 10 minutes before popping the throttle.

Oh, and it is carbed...

Yah I use seafoam in the gas for the winter, I'll have to watch my mixture next time or something. Sits in my insulated but unheated garage. I try and get out to start her once or twice a month when I'm not riding - I didn't have any issues last winter but then last month she started acting up.

I do usually have to warm it up a bit even in the summer but it acts a little different than this. I drained the old gas and replaced with new stuff and more seafoam and still the same. She'll idle for a while then start spitting gas out the overflow. The shop wants to charge $240 for a tune-up and I have to get a trailer to get her up there, that's a lot of gas money!

I know I'm a bit late here, but it made me think about my brother's experience with his gold wing a couple years ago.

He went to ride it in the spring, and it was just puttering along. Almost no acceleration, and idled rough.

We were darn near ready to bring it in with a tune up, and decided to pull it apart a little bit and look at the air cleaner. I wish I had pictures. His entire air cleaner and surrounding "tubage" was full of dog food. I mean packed to the gills.

Apparently he parked his bike next to the wood pile in the garage. Some mice made the wood pile thier home and must have decided the air cleaner and surrounding compartments were a good place to store food. One by one, they must have carried a piece of dog food and stuffed it in there, until he went to drive it off in the spring, and the poor Honda couldn't breath.

We laughed our [PoorWordUsage] off.

Sorry for hijacking this thread smile

But I have a '94 Magna - 4 cylinder 750, carbed. I have similar symptoms, except not overflowing. Basically, only starts AND runs with choke on, or at least slightly on. I can run it, drive it, fairly poor performance compared to what it should be doing. It won't idle AT ALL without choke.

I am pretty sure it is just gummed up/dirty carbs - I haven't really run it in about three years, and last year I didn't even start it. Year before only took one ride...

All gas is brand new, has a bit of Sea Foam in it, and a bit of some NOS fuel cleaner. I just ran it up the freeway to see if that might help but no-go.

I have put in new carb gaskets before, but taking that whole intake out was a pita. Do I need to do that to do a regular carb cleaning, or is there an "easier" way? I spose I could do that again (it was leaking last time, but still running good) but really don't want to, haha!

Thanks for any advice. There are 4 carbs...