• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop Selection on Suzuki DF140

rmb

I know there are a lot of guys out there that are running the DF140/Johnson 140's on alumacraft boats. I am really curious what guys are running for props. Specifically if you own an Alumacraft 175 series boat. It seams like this motor is a bit prop picky i think there is quite a bit of performance range just by motor/prop setup.

Please state your prop dimensions, gps top speed, rigging height and general thoughts.

2010 trophy 175, 14/23 Aluminun, 40 mph, 1 hole down from top. Decent overall performance but WOT is 5600. Going to try a 21 pitch to raise rpms a bit and aid in getting a bit quicker holeshot. Should still be below redline of 6200.

I am still in the experimenting phase with my jonsuki 140. I have a 2004 175 alumacraft TP. Last year was my first full year running it. Early in the year I ran a suzuki 3 blade 22 pitch ss prop. My rpms were a little low 5600 if I recall, 1 hole down from top and speed was 43 with light load. I switched to the same prop in a 20" pitch. However at about the same time my RPM gauge quit working, speed was nearly identical. I think my RPMS went up and my speed stayed the same and holeshot improved. I have since had the RPM gauge replaced during my winterization, and look forward to seeing actual performance with RPMs this Spring.

My problem is prop blow out. When trimmed up correctly to optimize performance my prop blows out easily while turning. When pulling a tube, I must be trimmed all the way down and can still blow out while turning. I plan on getting a powertech 4 blade ss prop to cure propblowout and immprove watersport performance. I need to get a handle on actual rpms with current setup before I order the new prop so I know what pitch prop to get. With a 4 blade I will go smaller in diameter likely a 18 or 19 pitch. I will expect better holehot, less topend, and less prop blow out. It sounds good on paper anyways!