• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pretty funny.

Abndoc

I bought some mouth calls this weekend. Well I'm driving around, listening to a primos cd in the truck...clucking, yelping away. Pulled up to the stop sign, not even thinking about much, I turn and look at the car next to me...and a bunch of kids are staring at me like I've totally lost it. Yep same thing next stop sign...i look and some lady is looking at me with shock. Her husband yells across thats sounds awesome. Oh I'm really getting the fever!!

I know very little about them, but the one tip I do have so far...is make sure it fits your mouth. I bought few of them and all but one of them work. Its one of the mini's. The roof of my mouth must be small...as soon as i used the mini, no problem...the other ones feel awkward and just dont fit. The cd i was listening to says you can cut the tape down on them to get them to fit better. Start with the sides and once that works, start trimming the back. I'm going try and see if I can get the other ones to work...

I have to trim most of mine as well. Just be sure to start small, you can't add back on once you've cut some off. (actually, you can. duct tape works really well, but it's better if you don't have to go that route)

Ryan, I also struggled with using the diaphragm call and was too embarrassed to ask for help; it's a "man" thing. grin I went to one of the turkey hunting seminars at our "C" store down in Owatonna. I asked one of the young guys doing the seminar for a little advice and some tips. With a little help and some practice, I actually got the darn thing to make some noise.

It seems like a lot of us have small mouths--at least internally--because when I started using a product with a "mini sonic dome" I got the fit and the seal to generate some sound without having to bend it like the larger models which didn't seem to seal or sit in place. It also seemed like I didn't have to force much air to get one heck of a raspy call and a lot of volume. It has been my favorite call over the past few years.

Once I got some confidence with the smaller call, I was able to add some of the traditional-sized calls with a variety of reed configurations and sounds. There is no shortage to choose from, and I'm not expert at what product is the best. I buy a couple of different ones each year, try them out, and buy them again if they sound good and generate some gobbles--or angry hen.

Go to a place that sells calls and before you buy it tell them you want a little clinic. The guys that can do it love demonstrating how to use a mouth call because a lot of hunters can't. Some of the calls come with a CD, which I would recommend, especially if it features calling techniques for all types of calls. I watch mine every year and there are tons of videos on Youtube.

Then get in your car like the rest of us and drive around and practice; I prefer the trunk highways and county roads where I have a chance to see some birds while I'm practicing. You can always roll down the window and practice your yelp.

Good luck!

I appreciate all the advice...I have bought many before and they just rot away in a cabinet. I have tried bending them, cutting them smaller, etc. but I can never get consistent sounds. I will try a small framed one and a domed one this year...I better hurry tho because I hunt the 2nd season!

warning to all, mouth calls in the vehicle can cause marital stress!

but it does work if you & your son want to drive somewhere alone.

can you believe she wouldn't let us bring them on the plane to Florida, we were ging to try them in the everglades. some people are such fun killers!

thanks to the advice in the forum, i also went to another clininc to sharpen up & found out the same that the mini is availble & does work alot better for us. good luck everyone!

Ryan, I also struggled with using the diaphragm call and was too embarrassed to ask for help; it's a "man" thing. grin I went to one of the turkey hunting seminars at our "C" store down in Owatonna. I asked one of the young guys doing the seminar for a little advice and some tips. With a little help and some practice, I actually got the darn thing to make some noise.

It seems like a lot of us have small mouths--at least internally--because when I started using a product with a "mini sonic dome" I got the fit and the seal to generate some sound without having to bend it like the larger models which didn't seem to seal or sit in place. It also seemed like I didn't have to force much air to get one heck of a raspy call and a lot of volume. It has been my favorite call over the past few years.

Once I got some confidence with the smaller call, I was able to add some of the traditional-sized calls with a variety of reed configurations and sounds. There is no shortage to choose from, and I'm not expert at what product is the best. I buy a couple of different ones each year, try them out, and buy them again if they sound good and generate some gobbles--or angry hen.

Go to a place that sells calls and before you buy it tell them you want a little clinic. The guys that can do it love demonstrating how to use a mouth call because a lot of hunters can't. Some of the calls come with a CD, which I would recommend, especially if it features calling techniques for all types of calls. I watch mine every year and there are tons of videos on Youtube.

Then get in your car like the rest of us and drive around and practice; I prefer the trunk highways and county roads where I have a chance to see some birds while I'm practicing. You can always roll down the window and practice your yelp.

Good luck!

i had that exact same problem, couldn't get decent sounds out of most diaphrams, but i finally figured out that the mini sonic dome worked great! i think I have a pretty small palatte and it just fits my mouth a lot better.