• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polar Kraft Boats - Likes? Dislikes?

Anybody have opinions on Polar Kraft boats? I thought I was going to buy a Lund or Alumicraft but looked at the Polar Kraft Kodiak and like them too. I've ridden in a 19 foot Kodiak and it handled well but are they as durable as a Lund or Alumicraft?

Thanks, TJ

I have a Lund, hence the screen name, but it seems the Polar Krafts are pretty well built from what I can remember. I would imagine that they are comparable when it comes to hull thickness, but that would be something to research and could be done on-line. Look at the overall fit and finish, including little things like hatch handles, etc. Lund is a big name obviously, but that doesn't make them the best either.

TJ we don't see many PolarCraft here in Minnesota because we have more then enough boat builders in the area so they are the ones most own and buy. The few that I have seen look pretty good but I don't personally know of anyone that owns one.

We had a dealer here in Superior that sold them. (Since gone out of bussiness)I looked at them and the fit and finish wasnt as good as my Lund. The fishing lay out wasnt bad. I only knew 2 folks who had them and they both sold them. One after 1 summer and the other after 2. Im not sure why. They were rigged with Hondas and looked real nice but like I said the fit and finish was lacking.

They did give you a lot of boat for the price compared to Lund, Chrestliner and Alumacraft.

If your looking at the Polar Craft I would take a good look at the Yamaha owned and rigged G3's. They have gotten better over the years. They were real lacking years back but the last 3 -4 years or so they have gotten better. I would put them in the same company with Polar Craft or maybe a bit better.

If you're looking at Polar Kraft's, I'd also look at G3's. I'd compare construction and dealer networks. Neither brand has been able to get a foot hold in MN, with strong brands (Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft) already controlling dealers and market share.

Resale may be tough too around here. If you look at classified ads, the G3's and Polar Krafts sit for a long time. I would never buy a Polar Kraft because Babe W. promotes them. smile

If you're looking at Polar Kraft's, I'd also look at G3's. I'd compare construction and dealer networks. Neither brand has been able to get a foot hold in MN, with strong brands (Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft) already controlling dealers and market share.

Resale may be tough too around here. If you look at classified ads, the G3's and Polar Krafts sit for a long time. I would never buy a Polar Kraft because Babe W. promotes them. smile

+1 to that quote. grin

Good point the G3's and Polar Crafts that I see around here for sale sit a long time and either sell for cheap or the people just take them off the market because they cant get close to what they want.

I looked at a 20' Polar Craft all decked out for Lake Superior trolling and I couldnt believe how cheap it was going for. It actually made me think something had to be wrong with the boat.

Thanks for all the input!

The Kodiak is the only Polar Kraft that I'm interested in. Seemed well built, very smooth ride and lots of storage. I didn't really care for the Outlander as much.

I looked at the G3's but liked the Kodiak a lot better.

Alumacraft and Starcraft are definitely well built but I didn't care for the storage as well.

If I find a deal on a Lund I wouldn't think twice.

Then there's the great motor debate.... I'll try not to beat that dead horse.

But,,, I sure like the Verado but still hear that Merc warranty support isn't that great. If the thing runs for 10 years then it doesn't matter one bit. So my second choice is a Yamaha 4 stroke, should probably be my first choice but I try to buy American when I can.

Thanks again for all the input!

Later, TJ

PS I thought everybody loved Babe. lol Good fishing eveybody!

TJ,

I own a 2005 Polarkraft Kodiac 165SC and like it quite a bit. The features in the boat at the time it was bought were very comparable to what else was out there, but the price was the big selling point to me. Other than the fact that I wish I had a larger model, I really like the boat overall. There are little things that might be a little better from a big name, but all I can really think of is fairly unimportant screws wiggling a little lose after 2-3 years or something small like that. My only gripe about my exact boat is the storage provided. It has the VERY nice option of storage to slide tackle boxes, etc underneath the back deck which I really like. The rod storage works out well and is plenty large considering the style of boat, but then the storage in front of boat really wasted alot of space that could've provided another 1 or 2 compartments. Based on some of the layouts I've seen from recent models though, they've really improved those layout features.

The ride in mine is pretty good compared to the 1 or 2 Lunds and 1 Alumacraft I've ridden in. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in semi-choppy water.

After 6 years of use now, the one thing that is finally going wrong is with the carpet. I noticed last fall that on my livewell compartment, the carpet seems to have come unglued and bubbles up on the hinge side of the door. Its hardly noticeable, but I've seen it happen a little worse on a friend's boat who has a VERY similar model as mine from 2005 as well.

Honestly, I'd probably buy another Polarkraft again if it were a good deal like mine was, but I'll be searching for that "perfect" boat for my family a LONG time from now.

Hope that helps.

My Dad has a Polar Kraft with a Yami on the back. It rides real nice and very dry. They do cut some corners on quality of materials tho. Like said above the hatch handles are made of plastic and not that strong of plastic.

Like Northlander said tho, you get a lot more boat at a lower price when you buy a Polar Kraft.

Thanks for the info. Still haven't bought anything yet. I've found several good deals on Lunds but haven't been able to get to them quick enough. I've been offered a pretty good price on a Polar Kraft but it doesn't have the walk through windshield that I want.

Ufatz I can't argue that but if I buy Merc at least there's a few more American Jobs involved. I help run a machine shop and really like it when people order parts from us so I try to support Made In The USA when I can. Can't blame anybody for buying a Yamaha, they sure seem bullet proof.

The last time I sold a aluminum boat it was a Lund; unfortunately I didn't even need to take out an ad in the newspaper and it sold, Ive never really been able to make it up to them. grin

In Indiana a PolarKrapht may sell like a Lund or Alumacraft here.

TJ27, I admire your position on buying American and I feel the same way. I made my money here and if possible that's where I'll spend it. I'm on my 5th Lund/Mercury combo in 35 years and have been happy with all of them. My current boat is a Lund 1775 Pro Guide with a 75hp Optimax tiller and think it is the best one I've owned yet. My Opti gets amazing gas mileage.