• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
browning_gold

April River Bass Fishing?

I am really getting the itch to get out and do some bass fishing. Has anyone had any experience fishing the Mississippi, in more specific the pools or Lake Pepin in late April or early May? I am hoping to target some smallmouths. Thanks

Yeah, been down there quite a bit. Could be VERY hairy this year though with the water. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they close the river for a couple weeks this year.

High, Muddy, Fast, Cold water=worst conditions possible

I am with Cecil on this one. It will look like an 1800's saw mill down there this year. There were so many logs floating down there two years ago, you could almost walk across the river without getting your feet wet.

How about right now and into the early part of april, anyone have success then? I know a lot of walleye guys seem to do well late winter/ early spring before the river is flooded, how about the bass guys? It's my first spring in Mn back from school, looking to try the river this year early if possible.

It can be done, but the walleyes/saugers tend to be a little more cooperative in 39 degree water. I actually start my open water season every year by walleye fishing around Red Wing. Been doing it for a lot of years and only caught a few smallmouth. I think you might have access issues on the southern parts of pool 4. A lot of the harbors that have boat ramps will still be froze.

every spring is different - but you can usually get out there and have a chance of catching a bass by mid march - last year i cuaght my first bass March 16ish - you will have some access troubles but usually redwing is open and usually pool 5 as well - you are kind of kidding yourself this year though - even if it does get warm enough there is going to be some debris in the water and you will be better off staying off the river unless you know of the clean water areas with no flow but even then you will be breaking ice to get to them. but yes my boat will be on the water this month mostly because i am squirrely but the catch rates will be horrible for bass but i am still going to try it.

In years past I have usually been able to get out and get good numbers of fish by April 1st. As long as the ramps are open I will be fishing all over the river in April. Smallies might be tough to fish with all the current, think I'm gonna start chasing largemouths in the backwaters.