• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Fishing Books

Hick727

Im looking for some good fishing books. Preferably up to date and it covers freshwater fishing. Im looking for both regular fishing and fly fishing books.

Also, if you know any good hunting books, please post them also.

Thanks

grin

Specifically to learn from or for a good read? There's not too many that are both.

Im looking for some good fishing books. Preferably up to date and it covers freshwater fishing. Im looking for both regular fishing and fly fishing books.

Also, if you know any good hunting books, please post them also.

Thanks

grin

I love the Orvis Fly Fishing guide. That is both, interesting and informative.

Also, any book by Richard Sternberg for the Hunting and Fishing library (many have been updated), are absolutely wonderful and have great basics information as well as great photography.

I've been ordering some books online to put in the cabin bookshelves, I'll list a few of em here.

walleye Wisdom is an excellent choice. Now I can go to the lake with an actual strategy... something I was lacking last year for walter.

Walleye wisdom goes through the spawning phases (pre/spawn/post) and the calendar periods, as well as forage and structure detail, for lakes/reservoirs/rivers, and there's an extensive section on great lakes fishing.

Crappie Wisdom is also good (although I picked that one up more for folks visiting the cabin). I've read a little of it, but am focusing on the fly fishin lit right now (orvis guide to reading trout streams, orvis beginners guid to fly fishin).

Pike: an in-fisherman guide to strategies is also a decent one to look through. I'll give a better descrip or review once I'm done reading it.

The ONLY real "problem" i have on the in-fisherman series i've been reading is their emphasis on keeping and eating fish. Walleye not so much but crappie wisdom starts out with a big schpeel on filling your freezer... not sure when the Copyright date is for that but it's obviously from a different era. Also, the pike guide vilifies spear fishing. I wish this language had been omitted. Especially being one who fishes WI a lot and am quite sick of spear-bashing...

Your fishing library will never be complete without "Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers".

In my opinion, it't the finest fishing informational book ever published.

Ron Schara has one that's pretty good, shows how to tie different knots and such plus more. Don't remember the name though, I rented it from the library once. I actually caught some walleyes on Mille Lacs from some long snells I tied that I learned from the book, kinda neat.

Orvis Reading Trout Streams

The Orvis Pocket Guide To Nymphing Techniques

The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide

(no.. i'm not an Orvis buff.. they were just highly rated books when i was looking for info on fly fishing.. and they do provide plenty of great info)

LL Bean Ultimate Book Of Fly Fishing

Fly Fisher's Guide To Minnesota

Walleye Wisdom by the Linders is a great book. I believe they have a book for each species.

My first fishing book!!!

Unless they printed updated versions though the old ones don't have modern things like leadcore, boards, downriggers...ect, ect

Still...a great book on seasonal patterns and how to fish them.

Not how too books, but Mike Iocanelli's fishing on the edge is agreat read as are

the lindners "first light on the water"

Kevin Van Dam has a couple great how too bassbooks that apply to all fishing.

Another great read is "bassmaster by Shaw grigsby