• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Gas Grill

Well its that time of year again and I think it is time to retire the old gas grill. Intertested in opinions on what others have and what the pro's and con's you have experianced with it. I already have a charcoal grill but I like to have a gas also for the ease and conveniance. The one I have now is an old Charbroil that made it 13 years but is on its third burner, served me well but is time to update. Thanks in advance for any info.

I would like to hear what others have to say too.

Mine is about 10 years old, and something new would be nice in the near future for me too.

I strongly considered getting something over the early winter during the clearance sales, but I didnt pull the trigger.

mine is the Chare Griller. it's the barrel type. bought it last year at mills fleet farm. best in my opinion for charcoal and the burner attachment for it where you can use your favorite wood or charcoal. it does everything as far as grilling or smoking as far as most needs. good luck.

I am sick and tired of buying expensive gas grill that are garbage! I bought an expensive SS at lowes a few years back and it is shot already. I finally found one that seems to hold up. Broil Master. Life time warranty and made in the United States. Sold by an awesome mom and pop shop just down the road from me. Little Big Horn. They even sell propane the way it should be sold, by the pound! I also was impressed by the weber, but have no first hand experience with them, only a few friends who have had no problems with them.

I played the "buy a new $100 grill" every year for a few years too.

Then I took someones suggestion and bought a Weber Q 200. For under $200 it is BY FAR the best grill I've owned.

What's even better? It doubles as my boat and ice grill as it's very portable.

DSC00657a.jpg

I'm really a charcoal guy, so I can't recommend a particular brand.... But at a two day family reunion last year I did get the chance to do a lot of cooking on a gasser. Burgers, sausage, dogs, ribs, steaks and chicken. The grill was cast iron and there were 4 main burners with individual controls which was really nice for dialing in the exact temperature zones, or I could have one on low so I could move things over there to hold if they were cooking too fast. For indirect cooking I had the outside ones on low and the middle ones off. This was great for ribs. I didn't use it, but you can see some kind of infrared panel in the rear which was used when rotisserie cooking.

I'm sure there are a lot of choices out there to choose from, so shop around.

I've been a charcoal guy my whole adult life (almost 20 years), but finally went to the dark side. Although I still have my larger charcoal kettle grill and a portable Weber, which I have used several times on the ice over the last couple of years, I find myself needing a more consistent and longer lasting cooking source for family gatherings and cookouts, where I need to feed a lot of people.

I bought my first ever gas grill last September. A Weber Genesis E-310. It was on sale at Lowes for $500 and I used a mover's 10% off coupon to drop it down to $450 + tax. It's still sitting in the garage waiting to be put together when the snow melts off the deck. wink

Can't wait to fire it up! grin

Can't go wrong with a Weber. I've had one at home and one up at the lake for years. Never had any issues - just buy a good cover. As you shop, you won't find much variance in pricing, as Weber dictates what the retail location can sell each model for.

So for this paticular purchase, I would check your local ACE Hardware and see if you can walk a floor model out the door. No need to go to a big box store and then spend the afternoon putting it together. When I bought mine they also gave me a coupon for a free propane fill at the gas station next door.

I bought a charbroil stainless (outside of the grill) about 4 years ago. It has the cast iron grates, not porcelin coverd cast iron, but good ol' cast iron. Love it, works great...I think it used to be a 400+ grill, but when I bought it they were closing it out at Lowes, charbroil "upgraded" the grill to porcelin coverd cast iron.

I thought I'd try the cheap route last year and learned my lesson. Bought a Brinkmann and found it to be built flimsy, hard to light, and more susceptible to flame-up than the similar Char-broil I had had for years before I bought the Brinkmann.

I'm stuck with it now for the next couple of years until it really wears down, but when it comes time I'm going with name brands again.

Weber hands down! I have a silver series with the true cast iron grates that is about 10 years old. Only thing I've replaced so far is the flavor bars, easy cheap fix. Even the sparker still works. Whatever grill you decide on, make sure to get a QUALITY cover for it.

Non porcelain coverd cast iron grates are virtually industructable and once seasoned, nothing sticks.

I've seen too many of the $100 cheapies go by the wayside, so I spent about $400-450 on a nice stainless one about 5 years ago. I believe it is a 4 burner, plus the side. I'll check on the make and model.

There is a massive difference in construction quality, even cooking, and the actual temp the grill can reach. I can hit about 700 degrees (or more) for getting a nice sear on the steaks!

I have the Weber Genesis. Not a cheap grill, but fantastic. No hot zones, holds heat well. Still looks new 3 years later.

For me, I use my grill 4-5 times of week, 3 seasons a year. Compared to the cost of an oven/range, $600 for a grill is reasonable.

Last year I bought a Weber Spirit Limited Edition version that has the stainless steel top and cooking grates. This grill has been great. Even cooking across the entire surface and no flames. The stainless options are worth the extra money. I was leaning towards the Genesis unil I saw the Spirit version with the stainless grates.

Can't go wrong with a Weber. I've had one at home and one up at the lake for years. Never had any issues - just buy a good cover. As you shop, you won't find much variance in pricing, as Weber dictates what the retail location can sell each model for.

So for this paticular purchase, I would check your local ACE Hardware and see if you can walk a floor model out the door. No need to go to a big box store and then spend the afternoon putting it together. When I bought mine they also gave me a coupon for a free propane fill at the gas station next door.

DO spend the money on a good cover, good advice. Bought a cheap cover for my $500 Weber and had to replace it every year. Plus it seemed to keep the grille cleaner with the better quality cover.

I have not looked at any of the other posts but I've had a Weber Silver C for close to 10 years and it has been wonderful. As far as a gas grill I can't say anything negative. I do plenty of smoking/charcoal stuff with other grills, but I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat. Also, paying for the nice cover is worth the money.