• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of the Cats 2011

DTro

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I caught my first flathead today. When I saw the mouth I was thinking flathead but the coloring was more like a channel. There were tons of 7-10 inch channels in the area I was fishing but a bluegill turned out to be better bait. Something about the tail didn't look right though so I went to the KOTC site to have a refresher on what a flathead tail looks like and that was it. I was fishing an unusual location in southern WI; I could have gone swimming comfortably in the water but down the road I would have had 2.5 feet to drill through. I was struggling with a phone picture and a guy helped me out but that did not turn out well either. I could barely keep my hand around it but it looks smaller than what it measured. 24X15

full-18363-6784-flat1.jpg

full-18363-6785-flat2.jpg

Yep, you are right, that's a Flathead for sure. Nice Catch

One of the easiest ways to tell for sure is to look at the tail. A flathead will have a square tail while a channel will be forked. Also a flathead will have more of an underbite and a channel an overbite.

Just wanted to mention that I'm starting to line up some nice prizes for us.

Maybe not as plentiful as last year, but at least we'll have a few things to dish out. Check out the KOTC site for all the latest updates and details.

Thanks Darren for setting this up again this year! And a special thanks to those that have donated items to be given away. By looking out the window, I cant hardly believe the contest starts in a little over 2 weeks.

I wouldn't mind a few votes related to my post above. The place I was fishing is a large cooling pond that is fed from and spills into the WI river. I am not sure if it is stocked other than it used to contain striped bass which I am pretty sure were brought in. Rumor has it that they all died at some point though due to high summer temps. Anyway, would you vote that a river-fed pond fish should not be entered into KOTC? I have heard they get pretty big in there and I have no interest in "cheating". I don't know the liklihood of cathcng the same fish twice but if I had similar measurements and appearance I would not enter it twice. I probably won't fish there much more as temps rise so I don't care which way this ends up but it may alter my plans when April hits. Thanks.

By all means, enter any fish you catch there. They still have to bite your bait. There is no rule that the same fish cannot be entered twice and most likey has in the past (even by different anglers).

The ONLY thing that I really would hate to see is people sitting on top of a wintering hole and snagging them. Given the April 1st start date, that is kind of unlikely, but if I ever suspected it, I would probably disqualify the fish. Not something I want to promote.

By the way, no need to vote on the issue as I have the final say. smile

Not that my vote counts, but I agree with Darren, the rules of the game are, you have to catch it with a hook legally, within the borders given. So, everyone has the same chance to catch that big fish as you do. It just brings more excitement to the game.

I saw crestliner has a similar contest going, but their control item is an actual ruler they send you. Maybe we can find someone to donate a bunch of KOTC rulers for 2012!

I have 2 questions for them. first why is there not a catfish division and second do you need to own a crestliner to take part in it.

I have 2 questions for them. first why is there not a catfish division and second do you need to own a crestliner to take part in it.

Email them. I just thought maybe in the future that wouldn't be a bad idea. the control item being a custom ruler of some sort

The ruler is not a bad idea. I researched that a bit for this contest. In the end though, I like to keep it simple and let people use whatever they want as long as the logo is there.

I can't give a boat away, but I've lined up some pretty good prizes.

Funny that they came up with a catch a release contest that uses your 3 biggest fish. wink