• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The season of a lifetime........

stiffwater

I've been a long-time reader of these forums and I think, after all these years, I finally have a post/story that I think most of you may enjoy....please forgive me thought if I’m a little long winded…

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to focus almost all your energy on ice fishing for an entire season? Well, I was just crazy enough to actually make that happen! Last summer I did the very irrational thing of quitting my job, selling my home in the cities and moving up north! Fortunately I have a small cabin (co-owned w/ a brother) on a little lake between Hackensack & Longville (please forgive if I don't share the exact lake). Over the past 10 years I’ve always had at least moderate success with finding nice Wally’s in the winter, but at the same time, it was always my dream to take a year off from work and REALLY dial them in.

So put simply, with the most convenient definitions….I actually made that dream happen.!

Since Dec 1, I was able to fish about 80 evenings, plus a ton of mornings. When you fish alone and have all the time in the world, 2-5 hours a day is about all you can really stand. In that time (and I sooo wish I had kept a journal), I can still honestly say I caught somewhere between 300 and 350 walleye plus countless numbers of pike, perch and rockies! Just for the record, I’m not a fish-hog, and of all those fish, I only cut about 60.…and I can truly say I’ve eaten my fill of walleye for a year. I was fortunate enough to to be very selective in my harvest and just kept fish from 14 to 18”. Those are truly the best eaters! It goes without question thought, I released a ton of fish! Also, for the unofficial record, I’m sure at least 50 of those released were well over 20”….the absolute very best of which was 29.5! Needless to say, any one of my family or friends that joined me on weekends always had at least one good fish-fry during their visit and at the end, they could always muster-up at least a nice package of fish for them to take home. But I think I diverge from my original point…

The real story behind this “story” so-to-speak, is you would not believe all the things you get to see and experience when you’re almost the only soul out on a lake, way up in the north country, for so many nights.

Some of the highlights I can recall right now include:

-Hearing the lake “making ice” right before my first night out…holy c@$$, when you have no other noise around…its frigggin loud!

-Being the first and only soul out on early ice (4“)…right arm and shoulder absolutely burning from checking ice every 10 feet for almost a ¼ mile with only the crows and eagles to keep me company.

-Hooking and bringing in 20+ inch walleyes back-to-back so fast that the slush bucket was full of waving tails because I didn’t yet have time to actually measure and release them yet.

-Meeting a huge deer at my tip-up….seriously, a change of drawers was nearly required!

-Fishing in the middle of a snowstorm where you can’t even see your snowmobile just 5 ft away….much less see the shore! After one time of getting “lost“ on the lake, I made it a habit to always point the sled towards home before I shut if off. J

-Watching an adult bald eagle drop down and grab a dead shiner just mere feet from my open door…holy S*^#…they are huge!.

-Having a 30” pike tangle not only my line, but a buddy’s as well.. his lines were almost 20 ft away….needless to say, I fish with light mono!

-Seeing first-hand the irrefutable, direct correlation between barometric pressure, weather systems and fishing success…..and for the record, fishing 24-36hrs before a big low pressure can be absolutely out-of-this-world!

-Inviting a lake neighbor to fish right next to me and every time I go back to my house to check my lines….I come back with a big fish…..a 25.4, 27 & 28, all within 20 min’s! Each time I knocked on their door, I entered saying “Holy C@$$, I need your help…..only to tell them I needed their help to take my picture with this big fish” (sorry, I didn’t posted any pics with this post, like I said I‘ve always pretty much been just a listener!).

-Experiencing first-hand just how incredibly bright a full moon, a clear sky and a fresh coat of snow can be….you seriously could read a newspaper out there!

-And last, but not least, having all my lake neighbors I’ve met over the winter join me on my “spot” (invited, of course) to spend the final weekend of the wally-gator season pulling fish and sharing good times and great stories!

Just to be clear to everyone reading, my purpose in telling this story is not to accumulate any accolades or criticisms, but to hopefully inspire those of you, who might be out there, and who may see that proverbial ‘door crack open’ and have life present the possibility of just ‘letting go’……its truly an experience that you will never, ever forget! Hands-down, doing this was the coolest thing I have ever done. And just to be clear, I’m a man of very modest means, but if life were to ever present to you an opportunity like mine……please don’t hesitate! You will not regret! Soon I must return to work, but at least in the interim, I cannot think of a better way to have spent a Minnesota winter.

Kind regards and Cheers!

Stiffwater

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome story, thanks for sharing your experience! I'm sure you learned a ton spending all that time out there.

Like you on the ice, I'd love to spend a full summer on the river.

Thanks Dtro...your posts have always been both informative and entertaining. I've spent just a limited time fishing the rivers and I would love to spend more time exploring...I've now learned the secret to catching a lot of fish is simple....fish a lot! shocked

Great read and truly sounds like an awesome experience! Sounds like you not only enjoyed the fishing but took in the sights and sounds around you and enjoyed them with friends. I'm jealous of your experience in that I can't get away from the metro crowds often enough. Great story, thanks for sharing!

Tunrevir~

Thank you again for the compliments. And for those feeling just a bit jealous...remember one key thought...it all starts with a single idea. For me, it all came together on a BW trip about almost two years ago....but the key element is the thought never left my mind and it became one of my personal objectives. I guess the best thing I learned was that once you decide something is possible, the only thing left for you to make it happen...is for you to decide you can actually do it! Yeah, yeah I realize that may be a bit 'heavy' for some...but the wierd thing is...it actually kinda works!

Im very happy for you! Nice to see someone enjoying the passion of fishing as much as I have the privelage of doing. Finding your own fish is a reward all of its own. Letting a select few join in your fun can also be just as rewarding. Thanks for the great post and welcome to Fishingmn/HSO.

To say we are jealous is probably an understatement for most of us, but in a good way. You my friend have taken the dream of most of us and lived it for a season. There are a fortunate few that live this life day to day and most of us learn from those that do because the ones that due live this life are usually the ones that are the first to share what they have learned and make us all better in this love we call fishing...

Thank you for sharing this... It is inspiring...

The most unlikely secret I can offer, for ice fishing or pretty much anything else beyond for that matter, is believing that "your dream"...or anything else can actually happen.......the funny thing is, at least with ice fishing, the sometimes secret is the simpler you fish the quicker the fish come...my best successes have been achieved with little more than bare hooks and sinkers. smile Not good for the tackle manufacturers I realize....but truth is what truth is!

thank you for all the well wishing! It's now my time to venture away from the lake and explore the deep south. Perhaps if this experience is as worthwhile, I'll post again. Till then, keep your lines tight and never discount what could be a "junk bite" smile

Stiffwater, 20 years from now you will look back on the experience and realize how lucky you were. I had a similar opportunity in my mid 20's to draw six months of unemployment. Decided to find a place on Big Stone Lake along the MN / SD border and fished from sun up to sun down 7 days a week for nearly six months. Had a blast and really learned the lake.

Found a guy who owned an older trailer house on a lakeshore lot and he let me live in it free for six months (including electricity) in exchange for cleaning up the lot while I lived there. Nobody had lived in it or used the trailer house in the past 10 years so it took a thorough cleaning, some painting, shoreline leveling and a lot of tree trimming but after a month I had a pretty nice pad on the lake.

Had electricity but no running water so I bought 3-5 gallon containers of water in town for drinking and cooking, and the occasional sponge bath. Lake water was really cold the first few weeks of May for swim/bathing, but I did it.

Fishing was absolutely awesome and had a six month, low-stress, worry-free lifestyle surrounded by non-stop fishing. What I wouldn't give to be able to pull that off again. Even got in two weeks of duck hunting before taking a job and moving. Will never forget it, or the opportunity a neighbor gave me before leaving in late October.

A guy had a 50 ft. wide by 150 ft. deep level lakefront lot right next to where I had lived that summer with an old small cabin on it that was falling down. He was wondering if I wanted to buy the land (50 x 150) from him for $400. After buying a boat and motor that spring, and saving just enough money to get a new vehicle, and to move and get started over, I passed on the lot.........what a dumba_ _. At the time I was a little worried that if i had bought the lot that I may never go back to work. That was 25 years ago.

Great read for me and experience for you. I don't want to loose my job, but it might not be the end of the world, as you've eluded too.

Early ice, the "brightness" of a full moon night with a light blanket of snow (I seriously could have read a newspaper as well), being ALONE on the ice, big walleyes, and BANGING ice in the dark....all brought back found memories of a special weekend back in 2009 I had.

Although it was only a weekend, I think about that magic period of time alot. I can't imagine having 6 months worth of memories of your season of a lifetime. I'm jealous, yet happy for you. Thanks for sharing, and reminding me of those special times.

After the last few years of having a young family and not ice fishing as much, I was ready to sell all my ice fishing gear. Now I read this and some of my own ice adventures come to mind. It looks like I just have to try a little harder to get away instead of selling out. Thanks makes me look forward to next year.