• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

half/skull helmet

IceKing72

Most legal half helmets need to be DOT certified, and this make them bulky. I bought a half German shell helmet in Sturgis last year to pass the states that require helmets. I looked at allot of half helmets and all seemed so bulky. Good luck!!

Iceking, google "headtrip" helmets. they are the lowest profile helmets out there. they are all kevlar. They have a dot approved one for communist states that require them but also have even lower (non dot approved) profile ones that are the exact same except just a little less liner. They told me they are the same helmet as far as protection with a half inch less padding and look better than anything else I've seen....no more mushroom head laugh and way better than those novelty German looking ones that have no more protection than ones the kid riding the bike in your neighborhood has.

they aren't cheap but you get what you pay for,,,its the only one I will wear. They are out of Florida, Ordered online and it was delivered to my door

in a couple days.

Might want to follow up with this info.

Jut found it on the NHTSA's HSOforum. Typo on ACC's info page)

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05E052000

Summary:

CERTAIN 2005 ACC EXT-001 EXTENDED HALF SHELL MODEL MOTORCYCLE HELMETS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE PENETRATION, ATTENUATION, AND LABELING REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 218, MOTORCYCLE HELMETS.

Consequence:

IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE WEARER MAY NOT BE ADEQUATELY PROTECTED AND COULD POSSIBLY SUFFER SERIOUS INJURIES OR EVEN DEATH.

Remedy:

ACC WILL NOTIFY ITS CUSTOMERS AND REPAIR THE NONCOMPLIANCE HELMETS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST 2005. OWNER MAY CONTACT ACE AT 1-800-300-9813.

Notes:

CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY OUTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236; (TTY:1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

...with two similar recalls for the EXT-002 & EXT-003 (Extended-half helmet) models.

Old thread, I know, but if you haven't gotten a helmet yet, the AFX half helmets are the lowest profile ones I've seen. Everyone claims that theirs are "super low" or "lowest" profile, but personal experience has shown me that AFX does in fact have the lowest profile around. Good fit and GREAT price point, too! I've personally tried Bell and Outlaw half helmets and will only buy the AFX after owning one for the last 3 years.