• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unusual Cutbait

JBMasterAngler

If it were legal to use gamefish, my go-to bait of choice would be cut bluegill.

i wonder if this has been brought up for debate recently? talk about being able to help rebuild good bluegill populations.. instead of all the over populated stunted bluegill waters in minnesota.. if you could use bluegill you wouldn't need something bigger than 4-6" and that would really help cut down the population and let others grow

catfishermen, to my mind, are some of the weirdest fishermen out there. and i mean that not in a bad way smile

My buddy says the only people that fish for catfish are drunken hillbillies, i told him i fish for them and he said that just proves his point laugh

I haven't had more luck with cut bluegill than I have with cut bullhead. Live seems to be a different story though. I once crossed paths with a snake (later identified it as a western fox snake)that seemed to be rattling. My stuff was all over the area and I hate snakes so I found a huge rock to toss on it. It became cut bait but did not produce. I tend to take a closer look before scattering stuff now. A good reminder though with sun bathing opportunities for snakes coming up.

Both fox snakes and bull snakes rattle their tail to resemble a rattle snake! My friends and I catch bull snakes often that range up to 7 feet in length. Its fun catching these guys and watching them rattle. The bull snake is pretty fast! They can jump pretty fart lunging up to a couple feet at a prey.

They both are harmless and we let them go to eat some mice another day!

Both fox snakes and bull snakes rattle their tail to resemble a rattle snake! My friends and I catch bull snakes often that range up to 7 feet in length. Its fun catching these guys and watching them rattle. The bull snake is pretty fast! They can jump pretty fart lunging up to a couple feet at a prey.

They both are harmless and we let them go to eat some mice another day!

Yup lots of snakes do that! The entire Pituophis genus (pine snakes, gopher snakes, and bull snakes) do it, heck I've even seen the odd corn or rat snake do it. It seems to be pretty common for North American colubrids to imitate venomous snakes from their region. North American hognose snakes are particularly neat, in that westerns imitate rattlers (in both pattern and noise when they hiss, sounds like a rattler's rattle) and easterns seem to imitate water moccasins.

ya and you have yet to bring me one

Dude I am pretty sure I called you on several of them. Take your boat out on the river flood waters in a few weeks. they will be swimming across the flood waters. We get several that way by flipping them in the boat