• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Southeast Iowa Ice Out Dates

I ran over my fishing journal, and noted the last time I went ice-fishing each year in the Coralville/Johnson County area. I should note that some years in the 2000s after I first moved down here, I was often too busy to hit last ice.

2003--March 7, small pond

2004--February 16, small pond

2005--February 20, Lake Macbride

2006--February 26, Lake Macbride

2007--March 4, Lake Macbride

2008--March 12, Lake Macbride

2009--March 4, Small pond. The ice there was gone two days later.

2010--March 8, small pond. The ice was gone a week later.

This year, thanks to the long warm spell we've had, is going to be a very early ice-out year for southeast Iowa.

We're not quite done yet in Johnson County. grin I was able to get out and fish a small pond south of I-80 yesterday. Not very far south of the interstate, but south of it none-the-less.

I thought we were done ice-fishing down here a week ago, but things actually improved over the week. The cooler temps, especially at night, made more ice than I thought it would. The open water at the edges and 6" of mushy ice I found a week ago on this small pond was in much better shape. The shorelines were solid, and the ice farther out was much firmer, even if it wasn't in great shape.

I managed to catch some bluegills and one 9" crappie in a short burst of action right before sunset. I hope to get out once or twice more this week before the warmer temps do the ice in for good.

I was out on MacBride Sunday night, not much action but the ice was still in really good shape, at least on the southern arm off of Anglers Rd. There was at least 8 to 10 inches out there. The water didn't appear to be very stained either. I will give it one more chance this weekend and then shelf the ice gear for the year and get ready open water.

With heavy rain coming down in Coralville, high winds tomorrow, and some ponds around here already 90% open, ice-out is going to be early this year. A few years ago on March 8 I was still ice-fishing a pond that was almost completely open yesterday.