• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where can I find these football jigs?

Hey all,

I just found this board...some of you probably know me from iceleaders and MFF.

I am looking all over, trying to find jigs similar to these footballs. The only "footballs" that I find are the ones that fish horizontally, and most other similar jigs (like half-moons and banana jigs) aren't quite the same.

These footballs are probably the best overall jig I have found for catching fish in fairly deep water. They impart little to no action on their own, but sink fast, show up great on the flasher, and there is no doubt that they catch fish. In fact, the tiny pink one is probably the best small jig I have found for big largemouth bass! The pickerel have taken more than their fair share though, and the loss of one is almost enough to make a grown man cry!!!

I believe they were made by "Woody's Lures" and they were most likely purchased way back when at Jerry's near Goodyear Lake in Portlandville, NY. I also had footballs of the same type before these, but they had a slightly different paint job and worked just as well.

I am surprised that it is so difficult to find such a simple jig...and there aren't even any molds for sale out there (although I know there must be one somewhere).

Here are a couple of pictures. Notice that they are a fully round, uniform football that the hook runs through and it fishes vertically:

P1170034.jpg

P1170038.jpg

I sold those back when I had a bait shop and still have a few dozen still on the cards from Woody Lures. I don't think I have any smalls left but there are a few Med and some large which is your top picture.. I couple different color combinations with a few that glow. I can check around and see just how many i have. You can e-mail me if you want as i don't check this site that often. [email protected]

Oh come on Ian we all know these lures don't catch fish smile As ive told you before I believe "off the beaten path" in Richmondville, NY bought all of Woody's molds. He was producing some jigs 8-10 yrs ago but unsure if he still is with his new multi convenient store bait business.

Off The Beaten Path

346 McDonald Road - PO Box 209 - Warnerville, NY, 12187

518-294-8978

Unsure if this number is correct?