• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heat for Quick Fish 3

imgoing2sleep

I'm pretty new to this hard water fishing thing and am finding it a blast. I just bought my first ice house. Eskimo quick fish 3. Trying to figure out how big of a heater I need to run for adequate heat. I am thinking about trying out the small portable buddy heater. Is this gonna be enough or should I spring for a bigger heater? Any advise for a new pop up user. Can't wait to get out and try it.

It depends on how cold of a day you pick to go fishing. In general though you will want a big buddy or a sunflower heater. Something that can put out more than 9,000 BTU's is what you want. If it is above 20 degrees and calm a mr buddy (smaller one) will work. Also, you might want to think about getting a battery powered fan that can hang from the celing. It will help distribute the warm air thoroughly throughout the shack.

except it depletes all the oxygen in the the house then you pass out(had this happen) for a beginner I'd get the big buddy its the safest heater out there and works great and a lot safer if you have kids with ya!

The sunflower style heater cooker will probably serve you best. They are reliable, put out lots of heat if its needed, takes up very little space when transporting and cheaper.

I was wondering about the sunflower style. That's what my buddy has and the firs time we went out I felt like I was having trouble breathing. Then this last time I ended up getting a really bad headache. They are warm as hell but I am concerned about issues that I've been having when using them. What about anyone else? If you use the sunflower style how do you have your portable vented? We have a 4 person cabin style clam with a door on each side. Just open the zipper from the top a little on one side then do the same on the other side but from the bottom?

Ive been fishing with sunflowers heaters my whole life as Im sure thousands of others have too. They are not death traps. Ive never had any health issues or fear of suffocation while using one. Heck I fished plenty of times without any vents or doors open, sure not the safest but apparently the clam 2000, FT guide, FT pro, mankato fish house I use it in are all drafty enough. Id rather run a sunflower and open a vent flap than deal with a buddy heater. Though I wouldnt run one in a sleeper house to be on the safe side.

I use a regular buddy in mine and its good for most temps during the day and at night in below 0 you may want something more. These shacks are almost airtight, I can low oxygen the buddy in minutes just by closing the door. I have had my best results by leaving the buddy near the door so it is near the fresh air. Good luck

I'm really surprised to hear everyone whine about Sunflowers as well. I have used one every year for over 20 years and have never had even a slight headache. I've also used different brands different style portables, etc. I often times fish for 8+ hours with the heater cranking away. To add to this, I've suffered from headaches most of my life but sunflower heaters have never been a trigger.

Perhaps I'm just more tolerant of all the toxic gas it's spewing into my fishing quarters. It's a wonder I'm still alive.

Good luck on whatever style heater you go with. If you have the extra bucks and aren't worried about some of the hassles others have reported than spring for the Big Buddy, otherwise (what I would do) is drop $50 on a very reliable Sunflower unit. If it ends up giving you headaches than keep it as a spare and buy a buddy next year. That way you're only down $50 and you have a spare heater in case your Buddy acts up.

FWIW, my propane lantern puts out 10x the fumes my Mr. Heater Sunflower does. As soon as I turn on my lantern I can tell a difference in the air quality.

I just used my quick fish 3 on sunday (-4 degrees, plus wind chill)

Used the small buddy heater, and it was warm enough to tolerate, but some icing of holes...I just bought the Big Buddy for this reason. [/quote

Forgot to add on my post was adding a small fan will help circulate the heat more in the QF 3 plus it will eliminate the icing up of the holes. But I still would go with the big buddy heater instead.

I use a heater/cooker and have had zero problems with it. I HAD a couple of those big buddy heaters and long story short they fail. crazy

The QF house fabric is non breathable BUT... they have vents AND removable windows. If its even close to getting stuffy in there the windows can simply be removed/opened if the vents are not enough (you cant get much more breathable short of sitting in the open).

Buddy heaters are a good idea but you can do the same thing by buying a 5$ COx detector and having it in the house with your sunflower heater. So instead of dealing with a finicky buddy heater that works marginally, your ahead by 50$, have a heater that works well and are still safe by using a sunflower in conjunction with a COx detector.

I have yet to have been in a situation where I have needed to use the heat above medium in that house with the heater/cooker. Usually I have it on low and with the vent flaps open its perfect. smile

tsande00, maybe my headache came from having the lantern going as well during that evening.

the sunflower is great it puts out great heat for sure! I haven't tried the buddy heater big or small but I don't plan on forking out the money for one. I'm just going to open the doors open a little more and see what happens this weekend.

My buddy has been using it for about 15 years and he hasn't had the issue's I was so maybe some people or more sensitive to the smell. Who knows.

I do have to say this is a great topic though to see what everyone's thoughts are considering the guy that just passed away and for new people to ice fishing with heaters. I used to just sit outside the whole time so i never used a heater.

I have used my buddy heater in my qf3 and has kept me plenty warm. I also don't feel the need to fish in my t-shirt so with my cold gear on it only has to be luke warm.

I am one, who has become sick from the use of a sunflower, my fishing partner went to the hospital later that night because of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a real danger to use in any confined space. It will only take the first time to realize a little cool is better than being dead and missing out on life with your kids and loved ones, just because it never happen in all the years before.