• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hole Placement in 6x6 Hubs?

IceIceBaby

I tried out my new Glens Surplus 6x6 hub shack last night. I love the tent, especially the mesh storage.

As, I was fishing with a buddy, I drilled 4 holes pretty much in a square in the middle of the shack. That was a little ackward. Any suggestions on better hole and chair placement for two people would be appreciated.

I would drill two holes against the wall on one corner. And then two more on the opposite corner. You would sit facing the opposite diretions. We did a simiar thing with three guys in a sixman last weekend. My first time in a hub, worked out pretty good. Can't say I am an expert on this but I think it would work in your situation.

Just starting fishing this year in a hub style myself, usually when fishing with a friend we only run 1 flasher so we just drill three holes on one side and the flasher goes in the middle hole to pick up both jigs, worked well so far...although if my buddies had their own flasher we might go to the four hole pattern...

I have the 6x6 black Ice. For one person I drill two holes one in each corner that does not have a door. I have clip on rattle wheels that I attach to the roof support bar over one hole the other hole I jig out of. Heater goes against the wall across from me backpack/tackle bag behind me minnow bucket in the middle.

For two people I have found it best to drill a hole in each corner. I sit with my back to my partners rattle wheel and jig minnows go in the middle the rattle wheel to the right is mine the one behind me the other persons. They sit the same way with my rattle wheel against their back. Makes it easy to get up and get to it. Heater against one wall between two holes (gotta be a little careful to not get your rattle wheel line into the heater and it has not happened to me yet.) Any non essential get stays in the sled just out side one door so you can reach out and get to it. I suggest having the wheels by the door because you don't have to step over someones rod to get to the door just be cautious of getting the line hung up on clothing or boots.

I hope this makes sense. If you are near Vermilion let me know if you'd like to go fish and I'd be more than happy to show anyone interested. (Never mind having someone to talk to in the house and my nephew uses his grandpas permanent house quite a bit.

I'll have to post my diagrams later when I have time to scan them (though yours might be different from mine if you use different gear). I got the 6x8 QF4. I decided to see exactly what the most efficient way to use the space would be for 2, 3, and 4 people. I set it up in the driveway, brought in the folding chairs, heater, Vex, buckets, etc and used markers (beer cans) to approximate where the hole centers would be, including a separate hole for the transducer. I moved things around until space was being used most efficiently for each number of anglers (and figured how many anglers could fish 2 lines). Then, I took out the tape measure and marked distances between each hole. I carry that tape measure in my bucket if I'm using the QF.

Now (well, the twice I've been out since taking the measurements), I just scrape off my area, figure out where hole 1 would be, quick run the tape out to mark the others, punch them through, and pop up the shelter. Seems like it would be slower, but it actually speeds the process when you know where to put the holes before popping it up.

Here is how we generally lay it out for 3 guys. Pain in the butt to get in/out very often but quite comfortable once you're in. If we are fishing deeper water and not using the camera, hole 3 gets the marcum and the camera hole gets fished and chair 2,3 share that marcum screen. the key is to get used to your layout size, or actually step it off so your holes are as close to the walls as possible to leave the most elbow room, also make sure and bank your shack in a little so its darker around the bottom of the walls if sight fishing. if its at night we use a light that hangs from the supports on the roof of the shack. hope this helpsfull-29445-5262-hub.jpg