• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King Crow

Hello guys,

Today I was in Kingston and looked at a new King Crow house. I am going to buy a new house this year but I can not make up my mind about what kind of wall insulation would be the best.

The Crows use fiberglass insulation in the walls and ceiling. Rich said the insulation is stapled to the studs so it will not fall down the stud cavity. Has anybody here had a problem with the fiberglass insulation falling down or having mold issues?

I plan on trailering the house to LOW and Mille lacs a couple of times a season. I owned a Crow 20 years ago but never trailered it more than 5 miles to the lake and never spent more than a weekend in it at time. This house will be used and trailered much longer distances.

I did a search on insulation and did not find any issues with the fiberglass insulation falling down. Maybe because its not a problem....

This is my first post here. Nice site!

Welcome to the site. I personally would be concerned more about the moisture that it may wick up then it falling down. I purchased a Yetti fish house and they use foam sheets and it seems to be a good choice. Others have used spray foam. I chose the yetti because of its lightweight and I was able to custom set up the layout to my liking.

Happy fishing

Spray foam would probably be the best. King Crow makes quality houses though, I'm from the Kingston area and know a lot of people who own King Crows and have never once heard of a problem with their insulation.

Why will the walls hold moisture if there is a vapor barrier. Where does the moisture come from. Unless the house is sitting in water half way up the walls. I have a friend that has a king crow for years and loves it.

Put it this way....there is no benefit to fiberglass, only potential drawbacks.

Moisture can get still get in (even with a vapor barrier):

-Around windows

-Around doors

-Seams in the siding

-Corners

-Top and bottom of the siding

-Soak through the floor into the bottom plate at up the walls

-Leak through any exterior fasteners (siding, lights, etc)

Once it is in the wall, it is going to be there for awhile, as there isn't much of a way for it to "breathe" out. Over time, you'll end up with moisture issues in the framing. Except for in the roof, it is a terrible choice for a fish house.

I would also stay away from fiberglass insulation in the walls. Personally I'd opt for spray foam for everything.

Out of curiosity, for those who have older King Crow houses and say you have had zero issues, have you had the paneling off at any point to see what in fact it looks like? Or are you just assuming there are no issues underneath?