• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River Channels through the ice?

Fordo

Looking to catch some cats on a river through the ice. The current is very fast so it makes it pretty hard to use your standard jigging spoon tipped with a minnow like you would on a lake. Should I use a summer rig? Big egg sinker with some cutbait? I dont know how eles to get my bait down there. Should I concentrate on deep holes? I heard cats dont like the current in winter but in this section of the river the cats are stuck between 2 dams and there are no slower current areas.

I would use a 3-Way rig using a heavy enough dropper weight to get you almost vertical. Run about a 20 inch or longer leader off the 3-Way swivel with a hunk of cut bait.

I would also caution you about ice on river areas with a good current flow. A lot of times those areas will freeze up when it is really cold but the ice is thin. I stay off the ice in current areas.

it may be 12 inches in one spot but I would bet that there is areas that are thinner and thicker. if you want catfish through the ice just drive up and fish horseshoe lake on the sauk river chain of lakes. tons of cats up there.

I'd try using baits that are slim and cut the current.

Another trick might be to drill two holes. One upstream for your bait and one sownstream for your sonar. With a little experimentation you will be able to see your bait on the sonar.

I have used this technique for greenbacks near Lockport and on the 'Shoe

I have tried to ice some cats on the minnesota for years with no luck I have tried holes,backwaters,eddies with no luck hope you find some. I have caught eyes,carp and even sucker thru the ice just not cats.

Good luck and stay safe

I have had fair success fishing the river up here in the winter for cats. I have found them to be more deep hole oriented with a good current break of some sort also muck or mud bottom areas are best. I would also second Brad B in saying that if you realy want to get some cats head up to the Cold Spring/Richmond area and hit the horseshoe chain. My best days on the Miss. dont even come close to the numbers I get out on the H.S. chain.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up using the 3 way rig and caught a couple last night and they were nice ones in the 10-lb range. The Horseshoe chain is def better for numbers but for size id rather hit the sip.