• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Striped bass?

Any one know anything about the striped bass being introduced up there in AK. Over Christmas a family member who lives in Kalispell MT that visits AK 3 times a year was telling me about these Striped bass that were introduced up there I think they were brought in from Arkansas or one of those southern states. Dont remember the area in Alaska had a hard time keeping to the subject his wife kept changing the subject.

Anyways he was describing the fighting capabilities and the size they were getting out of them sounded like an awesome fish to go after. He was saying some were in the 45# range and they fought like nothing he's ever come across before.

In my experience, the Striped bass are usually in warmer watered states. Although they are also found along the coastal states. They are also found in the ocean waters and come to the fresh water to spawn in the spring time.

The striped bass fight very hard. Pound for pound, they will give you a run for your money. In the midwest, there are some here as well,,,but you will more than likely find white bass here. The white bass are the smaller versions of the striped bass.

WHAT???

I've never heard of striped bass being introduced to anywhere in Alaska. I have serious doubts about the veracity of such claims, not that I wouldn't gladly accept the opportunity to catch some next time I visit the parents up there!!

Nope not a joke. Found a few sights mentioning striped bass in Alaska but not much in detail. And if you knew this guy you would know he does not tell tall tails. He does not have to being comfortably retired and an avid sportsman that does it all.

I know it sounds far fetched this is why I asked the question to get more info. I knew I would get a reaction like this that should go to show how I trust what was told to me by this person. In know way am I trying to blow mud up any ones skirt.

So you all are comfortable trying to discredit this? rather than find the real story. One post had a great explanation on striped bass, thankyou for that by the way. My research came across the same thing. Alaska has a lot of unknowns to us novelist , witch includes the one year guys who thinks they now because they go there. Until I hear from a guy that has lived there beyond mom and dad moved there I will take this guys experience as true until/// You guys make me giggle. smirk

"You guys make me giggle."

That was the idea...:)

As for believing it or not, who knows? I'm sure stranger things have happened. But admittedly, lots of stuff gets spread on the net without verification. Just the way it is.

If it is true...why??? I wouldn't fish no stinkin bass, 40 lbs or not, in AK! Why travel 5000 miles to fish something I can go to Missouri (or wherever) to fish?

AK is world class salmon, trout, butts:)

I'm all for hoots and giggles boys but let me assure you the Alaska Department of Fish and Game would not permit the stocking of "striped bass" into Alaska. Secondly, they would not survive nor propagate. Not a day goes by that somebody, usually recently arrived from MN or WI and living in Fairbanks or the MatSu Valley does not DEMAND that the Department start stocking WALLEYES!!! Ain't gonna happen either.

Trust me on this one fellas.