• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Considering an AR style gun

I have thought about this for a couple of years and I think I would like to pick up an AR style gun for deer hunting.

A few things ... We do nearly 100 percent post hunting in a deer stand so weight is not an issue. I have 30.06 and 30-30 for other applications.

I think it would be fun to learn a new gun and I have heard good things about that style of gun. We have some long shots where I hunt (300 yards plus at times) so a good scope is important as well.

Any thoughts on Brand? or caliber? .308? .243?

I would like to have a few more bullets in that event of a trophy running away from me ... happens too often I am afraid.

Thoughts on options etc.? All are welcome -- I understand some say hunting with those are unethical -- your points are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Hit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Milli in the brained area is who you need to talk to. His business is calledDedicated technologies and he is a moderator on other webpages, by the name of Dtech. Get a hold of him and talk with him, he will get you pointed in the right direction. In the ar format, the caliber offering is ever expanding. Keep in mind that the ar15's will shoot the shorter cases like 223 and the wssm's while the AR10's will offer more of the standard calibers like243 and 308 to name a few. Look into the 6.8Spc as well. You can't inter change AR 15 and AR 10 uppers, so if you want to have a 223 upper for plinking or coyotes and fox, you will be looking at the AR15

Here's a thought. Buy a nice Ruger Model #1 and then learn to shoot it. I mean really LEARN to shoot it. It's a marvelous single-shot rifle.Then you won't need so "many more bullets." And its a nice firearm, made with real wood and blued steel and it is a totally unique firearm so you'd have the chance to "learn a new rifle" too.

Ha ha ha. Just being caustic. I know you want a black plastic whiz bang rifle and that's what you'll buy.

Haaaaappppppyyyy New Year!

if you are looking for a good deer hunting ar the 6.8 rem spc is a great round. i am telling you from experience not just hearsay. loaded with a 95gr barnes ttsx oyu get 2800fps and a very efective range of 250 to 300 yards. has the same bore size as a 270 and there are a quite a few bullet options. also a very accurate gun. and with the ar15 lower you can have alot of options for a upper fro varmits just a side note i own two and ones for sale right now

The 6.8 is supposed to be the caliber that pushes AR's further into the hunting hobby for larger game such as deer, or so they say. I was reading an article about a guy that went to Texas to hunt deer and he brought his Rock River Arms 6.8 with but they decided that it would be better to use the .308 due to the potential distances they'd be shooting. This kind of threw me for a loop. I'm definitely not up to speed on all the different calibers and their ballistics, but I thought the 6.8 would be sufficient for the longer 200-300 yd pokes. Does it not have enough energy at that distance for effective kills? Is the .308 a flatter shooting bullet than the 6.8? Are there goods/bads with both to consider?

I'll hang up and listen.

the 6.8 is efecttive out to 300yds. at that range it retains around 1000fp of energy. the 308 has nearly the same drop but with the ability to shoot heavier grain bullets will retain more energy at 300yds. beyond 300yds the 6.8 can be effecttive with proper shot placement but the 308 would be more forgiving but still pushing its efectiveness when you go beyond that 300 range.

You can't get the standard 308 caliber in an AR15 rifle, an AR10 would allow the 308 caliber but not a .223

The AR15 is based on a short action caliber, youmcan get many of wssm's caliber offerings for AR15 but if you don't reload, wssm can get very expensive to shoot.

DPMS has major quality issues.

Google SLR15 Grail. Hands down the sweetest shooting AR15 I own.

Be careful you do not catch Black Rifle Disease!

Drop me an Email RJN02 at MSN.COM

I am a collector of the AR platform, I own ARs in 5.56x45, 7.62x51, 6.8SPC, .223Rem, 6.5 Grendel, .50bmg and .30cal

I'v been tossing the idea of picking up and AR also. I have a brother that has a complete lower for me but I just have to make the 24 hour trip to get it. I have looked at the DPMS and found that you can get a .223 with the heavy barrel for 750. I still need to do some more research but I've heard both good and bad things about the DPMS. Mostly QC issues.

I have a Predator Pursuit from Rock River Arms, FWIW. Can't complain. Slapped a scope on it and was hitting paper before touching the scope adjustments, so it must be a pretty square gun out of the box. I even moved the scope ahead later and was still hitting a 3" circle on paper at 100 yds.