• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

Went out today and noticed some of the snow has melted but there is still 20+ inches of snow. Followed deer trails for 3hrs and found no antlers. I did find a dead deer. So far this year 1 matched set, 1 single, 1 dead buck and 6 dead doe/fawns. I need more of this snow to melt. I feel the antlers were dropped during the being of January and are at he bottom of the 20+ inches of snow. Nice find hightower!!!

Great finds! this is getting bad I almost dont want to look at all the pics, but its been above freezing for the past 3 days and looking to get into the 40s so that should melt a little snow. BTW what happened to Antler Freak? Hes usually good for a bunch of sheds.

Shed hunting, I wish, was hoping this winter they'd put it in gear earlier than the normal mid-march, grabbed my waterhole t-cam Monday the 14th and every buck that happened by it still had headgear however there were only 8 bucks on tape. Every year a thaw in February gets me putting on the miles and then I get home view my pictures and realize the truth, March 15th in my area and beyond is when it goes down or I mean the antlers go down. 5 miles away my uncle has found a trunk full already, why so different time wise?

Heck yea matchset! I saw 51 in Bemidji today and tomorrow only one class...ice fishing in my t shirt or shed hunting? I dont think the cedar swamps are seeing as much of the melt though

you'd be surprised! i spent 3 days in Bemidji over the weekend... wow is it getting melty!

Normal average nocturnal rut, not feeding in the area, they have about a mile walk in any direction to reach standing corn if any is left, same ol same ol, my uncle is feeding 200 head steadily and he had the earliest shedding he's ever seen so i was fired up until I checked the camera, I don't know, but must be the gene pool in that area. But it sure makes for a short antler hunt season, early thaw disperses them with racks on, they abandon the swamp taking the horns with them. Can't wait to see the cam on about the first week of march, but it has to quit thawing or they will relocate. I better go to uncles and look.

I have posted these photos in previous threads, but thought I'd share again. That was the 3rd largest dead buck I've found over the last few years. The others were 152" and 165" bucks. The 165" was a lost bow kill, as I found the arrow encased in the dried up liver still. After I found it, while hanging in the shed I had a robbin raise several broods off of it!

5-2-07BowkillfoundinSwitchgrassatRo.jpg

Skullnest2.jpg

Robbins004.jpg

The other was my creek buck, which was buried in the bottom of a shallow creek with just a couple tines sticking out...that was my coolest find ever. He was stained and green mossed and chewed up, but just the circumstances of the find was very cool, along with the size.

cid_0401091803.jpg

cid_0401091810a.jpg

No end to the combinations that can cause death. This guy died after shedding his rack, nice heavy skull, mature buck. The toe was hard stuck and he died right there.

Buckinfencephotos003.jpg

I found the buck in a patch of really tall switch grass. No trail. Deer just burrowed in and died. Hard to say how far they can travel with a wound like that. Just dumb luck I stumbled on it pushing through the tall grass.

Man, nice antler in the ice! Was it frozen in?

I found a few more dead today, some fresh, some old.

This 1st one someone cut off the antlers above the burr and left the big heavy skull that was in perfect condition.... Would have made a nice European mount or atleast save the burrs when you cut them off!

deadhead.jpg

This little guy reminded me of a devil's horns. I have seen him a time or two in years past, but for some reason decided to bring him home today!

devilskull.jpg

I also found my 8th and 9th antlers today as well. Some squirrel damage to the bigger one, must have been out a little while I'd guess...

Antler82-18-11.jpg

Antler92-18-11.jpg