• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

Ya I agree with you guys on her killing that buck. I wouldn't care if she shot it. I'm half tempted to put those antlers on a cape and hang it on the wall.( my brother does taxidermy) I had this buck at 26yds in the fall of 2009 but didnt have a shot and boy did he grow alot in one year. after measuring the antlers and estimating his spread. He would gross in the low 160s.

Nice finds Dag! That is an impressive set.

LOTWS, do you have a picture of the sheds you mounted? I always thought that would be a cool way to display them.

Was out yesterday again for a few hours. Came out to a field right at dark, 30+ deer in it, not one with antlers. I did see one small buck on the way home and had a few small bucks on the camera still. I think a lot of the big antlers are buried right now.

Solid find Dag!!!

We were going to go up north for a 2 day antler hunt today and monday. But they get 6 inches of snow Friday night. UNREAL!!! Now another 2-4 more monday. I have this scary feeling I might go empty handed on sheds until march/april when the snow melts. It has been a depressing shed season for me!!

Good luck.

CJ

Here in NE Iowa I'm getting mixed reports also. I've seen a couple bucks with antlers yet and have talked to several others that have. Just between yesterday and today 4 people told me they've found sheds, one found 9 already but that was all in one field. I guess I'm a slacker so far this year since I've only been out about an hour and a half. I was hoping to get out this week but woke up to over 3 inches of fresh snow! Also it's really cool that we have a good shed forum here in one spot! It's always a highlight to jump on and see how everybody is doing!!

I also wanted to toss in that I've found matches to antlers well over a half a mile from where I found the first. It's amazing how few matched sets a person can find. 2 years ago I ended up with 82 antlers and 14 matched sets. Last year I had 63 antlers and 6 matched sets.

Ya bugle thats the way it goes. Ive found matches that were stacked on top of each other. My buddy found one last year 2 days later after I found the other side that was close to a half mile apart.

Walked a little over 6 miles yesterday through 3 feet of snow and came up empty. Probably the hardest walk Ive ever done, snowshoes dont help much when its all powder snow. I havent seen or got pics of an antlered buck since around christmas so I might just stick to fishing til the melt.

I was hitting a spot today and came up with one nice 4 point side. smile I have been pretty lazy on getting out lately... This was my 1st walk since I found the nice one on the 3rd, but #7 is now in the bag so hopefully I will get back on track now! 6 left sides and only one right, so I know some areas that should have a half dozen antlers at least on the ground!

Cedarrapids1-22-11003.jpg

A friend of mine has got 6 so far this year, 2 on our hunt today. Thought I'd share some of his.

Smallest so far found today 4 inches

cid__0122111318.jpg

11.5 inch G2

cid__downsized950109111150.jpg

Nice set found 30 yds apart

cid__downsized950117111656.jpg

He found #6 today as we were leaving our shed hunting spot he saw it laying along the road in plain sight in a field road opening. Amazing nobody picked it up as it had to have been there all day I would think as it was getting dark when we left.