• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

These 2 deer were carrying last Tuesday for sure. Friday we walked in to check the camera and they were both standing there with 1 antler. They both jaunted away. We walked down to where they ran and crazy enough the big 10 dropped that antler when he ran. We then also found the 8 pointers side that he had shed. These 2 deer, along with a big 9, were the last with antlers out of 7 or 8 bucks. I did not snoop around at all looking for antlers until I knew the giant 10 had shed. I haven't seen any sign of the big 9 with antlers in 10 days so I assume he dropped. I know a lot of the antlers I'm after are currently burried and its only going to get worse with the forecast. I spent 6 hours since looking for the side the big one had already dropped with no luck.

This thread has been quiet for a long time... How is everybody doing out there? I am heading down to SE Mn tomorrow in hopes of spotting some tines stickin' out of the snow, but I think it's gonna be tough goin... Have not seen a racked buck in a while so there has gotta be alot of bone on the ground smile

No doubt, this spring is a mess somewhat at this point, was hoping easter ish it would be decent but if we get what they're claiming I'm not so sure the next snow load will be gone plus the last one which has buried them, might be a few bucks still carrying in my area I hope, usually pull my t-cams around March 5th every year and generally some of the bucks still have both sides so I'm hoping but buried won't do us any good. And more snow maybe next Thursday ish and no temps 40+ through the end of the month, time will tell but what a contrast to last spring.

Starting to get antsy, just told the pooch to get the bone while he was sleeping. He is now up and looking around the house. Lol

For sure a big change from last spring Musky Buck. I am hoping the ticks will stay at bay with all this snow. Once she starts melting good, were off to the woods again. grin The ticks were fierce last year in the SE while we were out. I was literally swiping them off Boyd when he would return to me. Them little red ones stick out real good against his black coat. The Frontline did it's job but I hate running him threw all them ticks.

Had a very nice buck living in a small area of my woods all winter. I got a snap shot at him late in ML season, but it was heavy brush & I did not hit him. He was already injured or very run down from the rut when I jumped him. No blood in his bed, but just not acting like a healthy deer. I'd found several of his beds & countless tracks within a 100 yds of where I'd shot at him, when I was out cutting wood in January. One was so fresh I knew was from that day & I may have even jumped him out of it driving up to the woods. I was encourage knowing he'd survived a month plus & was likely going to be fine.

It was nice on Saturday, 3/2 & I had some time unexpectedly so decided to see if I could get in the woods to cut some wood as well as prospect a bit for his sheds. The area he was bedding in was so small I figured if they were on top of the snow I'd find them. Got the truck stuck right away, which caused me to completely abandon any plans for cutting wood. Snow was hard walking, but there were lots of tracks & mostly appeared to be his. Decided to look in my small pine planting first, they're anywhere from 5-15' tall now, most at least 8-10'. I didn't go very far & I found everything but the antlers. He'd shed them alright, but was laying dead under a pine tree about a quarter eaten by coyotes. I was saddened, by that. I couldn't determine a cause of death, but it look to me like they'd found him dead or unable to get up as there didn't appear to have been any struggle there. The snow was melted all the way to the ground, so he'd laid there a long time with heat still in him. I searched for about 2 hours for his sheds, with no luck. Of course we'd gotten about 2' of snow since then, so am anxiously awaiting another chance to look. My guess is that he'd been dead 1-2 weeks, maybe less, based on all of the recent looking sign of his I found. I'm hoping to get some cool trail cam pics, as I put one up on pine tree, pretty low with his carcass in the middle. I may pull the card this weekend.

Nice find Muskie and also nice to see some activity here again. Boyd and I did well last weekend as well. Spent 8 hrs. out Saturday before the rain hit. One four point and two three points. Also found were two from last year that were partially buried and chewed up allot from the squirrels. Boyd found the biggest and one that was 2/3 in the ground and chewed up. The other three I spotted and left it up to him to locate. He also found a leg bone from a deer. There is still allot of snow on the north facing slopes down in the southeast so we didn't get to hit much of that. I am hoping it melts off this week so we can hit it again this weekend. I have pics to post and will get them up in the near future. Last weekend was my best shed hunting trip ever and the memories are priceless.

full-8800-31979-vcm_s_kf_repr_832x624(6)

full-8800-31980-1365276097029.jpg

full-8800-31981-img_20130406_213444.jpg

full-8800-31982-vcm_s_kf_repr_624x832(2)

full-8800-31983-p1080003.jpg

I hope these pics show up. Two of them looked small once loaded. The bones and the one were Boyd is a pup. The others looked OK. The five on the table is what we found for the day. Two Pics are him bringing the first antler bone of the day and it is his find alone. I was excited to say the least. He dropped it at my feet in the other pic. and if you look close enough it looks like he is smiling at me. Lol I kid you not. You can see his front teeth. The other is a leg bone he brought to me for the first find of the day at 2:30. We started at 9:30. We were on one side of the property were there was allot of snow but produced bones last year. Left there for the other side around noon and had some lunch. It was awesome to sit in the bottom of the ravine and watch water run from all the melting. Normally there is no water running down there by the time we start playing in the woods again. With that said, it was a treat that I will remember for ever. Throwing sticks in the crick and watching Boyd chase it in the rushing water was priceless. Got done eating my sandwich and headed out for new scenery. Searched again for a couple hrs with nothing to show. Getting frustrated some, but having a blast non the less. Then it was the leg bone at 2:30. After that it was the best three hrs. I've spent shed hunting to date. 5:30 came around and we had four bones. Two in good shape and two that are chewed up good. I took some pictures with my digital of Boyd with the four bones. It was raining but I didn't want to stop. Then I get a text from the land owners asking if I was up for BBQ ribs. Of course I wasn't going to turn that down after a long day in the woods and a little wet to boot. Some dry clothes and food was sounding good but I wanted to try one more hill side and they were OK with waiting for me. We headed up another south facing hill and close to the top under the canopy of an evergreen... I spot a bone. Boyd is off doing his own searching but like all bones I spot, it's left for him to locate and retrieve. That happened within 10 min. of the land owners text. We were out of there after having a very memorable day with Mr. Boyd. Once all the snow is gone from the north facing slopes we will be back at it. Maybe yet this weekend. Forecast and temps don't look good for melting snow. Lol I do however look forward to the running water again. And of course watching Boyd use his sniffer. This is my forth year at it and second with Boyd. I will tell you what... he has made made it one of the most enjoyable things I have done. And you don't need a licence to do it! laugh Sure would be nice to see some activity on this thread. Hope you get out searching and let us see your find.

full-8800-31985-vcm_s_kf_repr_884x587.jp

Cool it worked and there the right size. Lol Here is the one with my digital. There is only four bones in this pic. as we were getting ready to be done for the day. Then there was the text for supper and decision to try one more spot. I hope you read the rest of the story. Lol Take care. wink

Thanks you guys. I give the credit to Boyd. He's a smart dog. My first big dog and always wanted a black lab. Don't bird hunt and then heard about the shed hunting dog's. Thought what a great reason (I know there are many more) to get that lab I wanted. It has been a treat to say the least.

He lives a great life in the house as part of the family.