• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scofield reservior

Scofiled is known for early ice trout especially tiger trout which are a cross between brookies and browns. Much like tiger muskies tiger trout are known to be very agressive. Having never caught one a trip was in order. Scofield has a highway running along most of the shore so access is easy. Park and walk out, We setup on a point leading into the bay where the dam was located in depths from 10 to 20ft. Iced our first rainbow within 5 minutes in 15ft and the fish just kept coming. We used white pepper tubes and white paddle jumpers for the most part. All the rainbows and the few cutthroat we caught ran from 8 to 16 inches - not big but when you can catch 20 of them per person in 4 hours it's fun. Sadly no tigers showed up so I'll have to try again.

I bought an Automatic Fisherman tipup to use as a second line and tried it out for the first time. Very similar to a slammer but made of plastic and it is more adjustable IMO. The unit performed flawlessly setting the hook on 6 trout so all I had to do was reel them in. They are legal here in UT but might not be in MN. I will be using the tipup as my second line from now on. No more running across the ice to try to set the hook before the fish moves off now.