• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New York Ice fishing Reports

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess I will finish off calendar year 2011 with an ice fishing report. Went north about an hour and fifteen minutes and found some good ice on Crystal Lake. Close by the launch it had 4" as you went out less 3", no one was out more than 60- 70 yards from the launch and directly across and to the right their is still open water. Their was alot of water on the ice as it drizzled on and off throughout the day. Fished with Tommy, Jay and Doug and caught a dozen and a half med. bluegills with most of the action early in the a.m. and ten crappies none which were keepers, a couple close sized crappies but for the most part 8"ers. It was making some scary noises as we exited the ice today. Defitely lost ice today as it was starting to turn white so be careful and cautious, dont go alone.

Maiden voyage for my New LX-7 and I was totally impressed with ease of use and multiple features and look forward to my next trip with it!

Well got out on one of our early season regulars for the last hr and a half tonight managed 6 nice gills and 1 - 11" crappie ... Nice to get out again!! Gonna try and hit it tomorrow AM .. Not sure how it's gonna be though, ice was kinda sketchy maybe if the rain holds off..

King...I think I will be able to get on Deruy tomorrow. The south end has not lost it's ice out to my sight fishing spot. That should produce me some Big 'Gills and Calicos. Are you laid off this winter again?

AW

Yep you've got my digits give me a buzz. I am busy Wednesday and Thursday but could be convinced to take a trip out that way Friday? Saturday we are probably heading up north. Haven't been out once this yr besides my buddies pond for 5 mins a couple of weeks ago. Don't even have the shanty put back together yet been busy writing reports like the one for DeRuyter smile

This was the south end on December 20th smile

DSC02873.jpg

I was the one taking the picture smile

3 fow we were chipping a big hole in the ice to harvest Eurasian Milfoil. Iice was a little to thin once we starting chipping away at it. The picture was the result when he got all the way around. There were 3 other people on the ice smile In no way where we being totally stupid or being dangerous we had the safety equipment if needed. We ditched plan A and went with plan B. SCUBA dived with dry suit a little further up the lake where it was ice free.

Friday I get out of work at 7:30 a.m. and want to fish. Talked to Freddy and they have 3" of good black ice on the back set of Delta and 3 guys were on it fishing it today. I am thinking about checking Youngs for Friday unless Mohawk Valley Joe swings by to double check that for me.:)

Chris Slopka called and he wants to fish somewhere on Saturday and I also talked to Kevin Riley tonight. Kevin has had some health issues and they will be running some more tests to see whats going on with his blood pressure/heart. He may come up Saturday to fish if one of his local lakes is not ready maybe Steve too. Lets put our heads together for a place on Saturday to hit.

Sorry guys.. I guess I wont be fishing Saturday until later during the day. Got the word about 4:30 a.m. that I am working Fri. night to Sat a.m.. Can't do anything about it while I am on probation for three more months frown

Tank and I found some ice today. Measured 3 inches, she wasn't cracking at all but did sag a bit...

Tons of small gills and crappies - non-stop up and down all afternoon. We did have 5 crappies that measured enough. cool

Heading south tomorrow to hopefully find another inch of ice and some nicer fish...

A nice start, but they can only get bigger from here on out... grin

full-1130-15937-004.jpg

full-1130-15938-002.jpg

Enjoyed the lx-7! It was actually hard to adjust and play around with because the fish were so thick...

tim me and dad r going to hit youngs saturday talked to joe 1 guy on youngs and 4 guys on the north end of canadarago....Walk out on delta at the beach 2 1/2 not good yet back set got 4 1/2 the lake is way down.

CNY Fred

fred smith

At least you guys bring us some hope. The way it's been going I didn't think we ever would have ice.

Tim I may be able to sneak out Sat around mid morning. If i can I would like to join you guys. If you know your destination, send me a text message so I will know where to head. Either way, if you make it out, have fun, good luck and stay dry.

Dark Cloud and I went south today and did not find the kind of ice we were looking for.3 inch measured at best and could not get very far out and it changed to 2 inch. Got 10 nice perch between us in the shallows.Ice was getting worse as we were leaving. Some people are going to get wet this weekend. I dont think we will atemp it for another week.

Tank, unfortunately I think you are 100% correct. Was 49 degrees in town today and was mild all day frown . Certainly didn't help the ice at all and nightime temps aren't enough to do any real good.

Haven't heard or seen anything more from Timmy so don't know if he is still planning on giving it a try. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until next week to attempt anything.

Freddy and I fished a couple lakes in Madison County today ice was only a hair shy of 3" on one lake and a hair short of 4" on the lake we fished in the afternoon. I caught the biggest largemouth bass of my life today, 6.3 lb's on my fly rod and reel and it took 15 minutes to get her in. We also caught some bluegills, crappies and a few perch. After 12 p.m. we didn't mark many fish. Heres a few cell pics of the trip.

morainelargemouth.jpg

A couple more...

63pdswhahoo.jpg

anotherpic.jpg

Freddy scores!

freddyscores.jpg

And the only decent perch I caught..

moraineperch.jpg