• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New York Ice fishing Reports

King - nice pics and nice fish. Was beginning to wonder why no pics; knew you had to be catching some nice fish.

You guys had me laughing pretty good with your comments about Glen. For some reason, when he was fishing, he became the most intense, competitive person I've known. King - guilty as charged. If you strayed too close to him, he was as friendly as a junk yard dog. mad I use to kid him that I was going to stake out an area he was fishing with yellow "police line do not cross" tape. Tank and DC right on target there also. I enjoyed fishing with him and fishing Phil - to me, Phil was pretty laid-back and out to have a good time no matter what while Glen was in an intense competition to see who caught the most. Two totally different personalities made for some funny exchanges. Not complaining though, he taught me a lot and helped me out with my heart problems. Wouldn't have been fishing if it wasn't for Glen.

Fishing report - fished the big O yesterday. The 6" or so of the white stuff made walking a chore especially compared to the perfect conditions we have had. Got out to about 22' and nothing. From about 7 to 10:30 marked maybe 5 fish and none of them even thought about biting. Lost my first eye at around 10:30, iced my first eye a litle before 11:00 and took two more before noon. So much for the early eye bite theory. I guess you don't have to be fishing in the dark on Oneida to catch walleye. Also picked up 3 nice jumbos as a bonus. Have to do something with my camera - maybe chuck it down the hole, right DC laugh

ice16.jpg

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice waldos as usual Dave. It looks like your camera might be stuck on "macro" (option for closeups) or you are getting condensation on the outside of the lens? I might be up that way next week and if so and we run into each other I will take a look at it smile

Thanks for the offer King. Let me know in advance on a specific day so we can maybe make some plans. Right now the walking is pretty rugged and, if we get the snow that they are forecasting for tomorrow, Oneida may be real tough to fish. I'll keep you guys posted.

Iceman watch the winds on Sat - I saw something today that indicated some pretty strong winds for Sat. That and the possible snowfall might make you rethink Oneida.

Pman Dave - Snow and or sun makes for tough photography at times. A few things I learned that work are. Force the flash ON, this will help fill in the shadows - I do this most of the time unless its late/early in the day and the flash is too much.

My camera has an "available light" setting that amplifies what natural light there is. This workes good indoors and inside the trap.

Also, some cameras have a "snow" setting that is handy...

Another big thing I do at times that really helps iffy picts is to edit them a tad. All I ever do is adjust the exposure useing windows photo gallery(most computers have it). I'll increase or decrease the brightness... cool

Nice fish guys. Bill and I fished our private crappie lake yesterday. Fishing was very slow. I think it was the front coming in.I ended up with 8 crappie and a bass. Bill had 6 crappie and a bass. We can keep bass down there that are over 15 in. Boil lightly,cool and add cocktail sauce and you have a great evening snack.

Tank - I thought the weather might turn them on a bit but we had the same problem. A friend of mine, well a former friend after today wink talked me into venturing out on Oneida for some eye action. The walk out wasn't as bad as expected, got out to 24' and set up. First two hits and fish of the day were both yellows. Lost a walleye and a big perch, one more perch after that and that was it. Didn't mark anything until we left around 11:30 or so. The walk in was pure torture - took us 50 minutes to get in. I'm afraid that the lake is unfishable unless you have a machine frown.

Jay - thanks for the tips on the camera - will check them out.

WIND??? Oneida lake???? NOOOOOO!!!!! crazy. LOL. Yea I am kinda leanin that way but guess ill have to check the weather reports before I decide. Might have to find someplace else for my first outting of the season,

Thanks for the info.

Did the Oneida lake stroke today for a few hrs and you were right Pman the walking was terrible along with the fishing .I managed 6 jumbos and they were donated to my buddy Donnies creel.

Iceman sorry I missed you out there we were on a mission to the NW about 3/4 of a mile out and thats all I could take for walking we will hook up soon.

Timmy I hope you get that showdown thing figured out I am anxious to see how that thing works with the dual beam confused.

3 degrees at times on the drive south this morning! Tank and I hit a new(fished it once last year)lake and it was slow for about three hours till we drilled and drilled and found fish, then it was silly at times. grin

Nice fish with a big average and some pushing 13...

full-1130-4885-011.jpg

Snowed heavy at times today...

full-1130-4886-012.jpg

Todd - glad you confirmed my observation, didn't want to sound like some little wusses, but that was one of the toughest treks I've ever been on. I've had four cardiac stress tests and none of those workouts compare to that Oneida stress test. A jaunt out to about 22' to 24' and back pulling a one man is a lesson in pure misery.

After yesterday, I had no choice but to sit at home and attempt to recover. Some friends went out on machines out of Edgewater and no waldos but about 9 jumbos between the two of them. High winds forecasted for tomorrow so I guess its another day of rest.

Jay nice jumbos there.

I did end up on Oneida this am, little later than i wanted to but i was there. Managed 12 decent perch 7:45-11:00. Lost the first 5 I hooked. mad Had to get back into the rythum I guess. Walkin was less than favorable unless you followed a snowmobile track and the fog was thicker than snot till bout 8 am. Hope to get out again tmro later in the am.

Todd No biggy. Im pretty sure I saw the 3 of you. I was due south of you between you guys and a group of 4 or 5 other guys. Pretty sure I saw timmy headin in just before I did...

Yeah I am thinking it's a bad wireing harness gonna see if I can get some 2 amp fuses from wally this a.m. and try to power it up off the Ice Troller Performance Pack, if it works I nailed it. All yesterday was for me was a nice breakfast with Donny and Todd, thanks Todd.. Ton of good cardio 3/4 mi. off the beach and 350 - 400 yds off Jewel and one perch on a buckshot and maki. Good talking with you Dave. Snowing here, good luck fishing today guys...

Is anyone north of me doing any catching.Come on guys this is what we have been waiting for. I fished four differnt lakes all south of me the last 7 days.It is now a day on the ice and a day of rest. I am ready to go north If I hear of any good reports.

Tank - haven't been out in a few days, gonna try the Big O tomorrow - maybe Lewis Pt on machines. Will let you know about conditions and the bite. Other than that, don't have much info to share. King referred to the Big C as dinkville so that says a lot about about what used to be a real good playground.

Fished the Big O today out of Lewis Pt. with John and Joe. Wheelers and no wind made travel real easy and a good thing because we had to do a lot of looking today. Was out on the ice and set up around 6:30 but did squat - so much for the early bite. Took all of our fish from around 11:00 till 2:00. Each of us limited on eyes and no perch were caught. Most eyes came from 30' to 32'.

Looks like a lot of the snow that made walking so bad has been blown off the lake. Walking still not easy but a lot better than it has been. These were the ones I ended up with 18 1/2" , 18" and 16". John's were about the same as mine, Joe's were all about 19" to 20". Jigging raps with minnow head did the damage.

ice111-1.jpg

Camera seems to be working better - thanks for the camera help guys.

Hey Tman how you doing? Oddly enough I didn't mark any baitfish, the eyes just seemed to appear from time to time. My buddy John had a lot of small marks below him which he assumed were pin pike because he caught a couple of those. Could have been pin pike chasing bait fish.

I think you're right on about finding feeding fish. We marked a fair number of fish that would follow up and down but would not commit. No way to really know for sure if they were eyes or not but they were good, solid marks.

I'm afraid all this freakin snow has brought our icefishing activities to a screeching halt mad

Speakin of bait fish!! When I was out off the beach Sat mornin 3-4 dfferent times I had a ton of small marks come from the bottom up and on 2 of those occasions I had perch come in right after the small marks dissapeared and slam the #*&^**( with a *&^&% (*& I was usin. could this have been bait fish or air/gas bubbles?

Also. I have a Marcum OVS 400 underwater camera that works great but needs a battery. Anyone know what it might be worth??

Hit Oneida again this afternoon. After pullin some tourists out of the unplowed snow in the parking lot I got to fishin around 145. Fished till bout 430 and ended up with 4 perch 9-11" and 4 eyes 15-24". 2 biggest est of the day (females) went back down the hole and I kept 15" and a 21" both males. Took 4-5 passed to get the bigger fish turned to bring them thru the hole. Only usin the 6" hand job auger and these fish were FAT!!! Time for the 8" power to come out fishin... Might be back at it again tmro am. Will have to see what the weather does tonight..

Yes way to much snow if your walking. Went back to the beach this morning. Figured if I waited till 7-730 I could follow the snowmobile trails out to the fishin grounds. Parking lot was empty when I pulled in. Walkin was tough at best and I have dubbed it the Oneida lake 30 minute workout. Got out to 19' and sat for a half hour with no marks. Moved out a bit more another half hour and no marks. Move out 1 more time out to 21' and found a few perch. They were not in the mood. coaxed 4 into bitin and landed my biggest of the yr. Female bout 14". It was then that I realized my track phone has no camera on it.. Little sluchy around shore and little slushy out were I finished up, inbetween seemed ok. Very tough walkin with 6-10" of snow for the most part with the drifts pushin 12-14". Not many out from what I could see.

Sorry for the late reports guys did fish this past Saturday with Todd, Tuzzy and Donny, and on Monday with Freddy, Freddy Jr. and Zecca showed up as well. Was off the south shore of the Big O and had a decent day on Saturday with 30 nice perch and Monday only 16 nice ones. While I was fishing off the beach earlier this season I met Scott and Carmine and fished with them and on Saturday will either be off North Bay or off Constantia. Scott's a big walleye fisherman but hopefully the yellows will be biting as well. The slush pockets hopefully will tighten up and travel will be alot easier. Forgot the camera as usual, no pics. Try to remember on the next run...