• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cheap ladder stands?

BLACKJACK

Menards has some 15 foot ladder stands (Sky Raiders?) on sale for $40. Anybody tried these? Are they safe? They're rated for 300 pounds. I have a spot about an hour away where I need some more archery stands, thought these might be a good choice, in case they 'disapear' I won't be out to much.

What do you think?

I had 3 platform Menards stands. I thought they were ok other then they were a bit loud. Shot a few deer out of them sadly this summer someone stole about 5 stands from me. I strongly suggest using different ratchet straps then what they come with unless they have improved their quality.

I have a few of these and think they're just fine for archery hunting. I'd say they're worth the price.

This year, they made the ladder and foot platform narrow compared to years past and that's kind of annoying. Not a lot of foot space. That's pretty much my only complaint.

Oh - and I'm 260 and don't have any issues with stability. The ratches on the ones I have seem fine.

I have a few of the menards stands and like them for the price. Seem stable enough. I bought mine a few years ago, and have no strap issues. I agree for the price I just leave them out all year, and I get deer out of them.

Only complaint is the foot platform like mnbuckhunter said. Too small and hard to turn your body to set for a shot unless it is right in front or the the left(I'm right handed. If you are right handed and are hunting in the cold with big boots on try to take a shot to the right of you. I would say ok for early season...price is right.

For bow hunting I did get the 2-man stand from menards for $80 - still a good buy in my mind. For the single stands you can bolt on a 1" piece of plywood to make a larger platform. I got mine a few years ago, and my size 12 feet seem to have enough room, but sounds like the platform size has changed since I got mine.

I hardly think the inexpensive ones are junk SnS.

Not as roomy and easy to move around in, yes.

If people want to dump a lot more money to find round tube stands, thats fine. But Black Jack is wondering about this model as an affordable alternative. Which its a very good option for the price to get some additional stands.

I have 4 Loggy Bayou round tube ones with flip up seats. I love em, but I sure dont want to spend all that money to outfit all my hunting locations.

I think for the price ypu really can't go wrong. Buy as many as you can. Another note to watch the straps. I have a few of the cheap menards hang ons and the straps are a bit thin. I had one break on me this year. Lucky I didn't get hurt. I now add stronger rachets straps to every stand. But I thing for your intended pupose for the ladder it would work well.

For the money you cant go wrong. Ive got 4 of them. Not a sit all day stand unless you modify the seat.

I also have 4 of their cheapest hang ones as well. Alot of guys I've hunted with WONT use them at all as the platform is small. But ive never had a problem but Im not a huge guy or afraid of heights either. I do have to be more thoughful about what I do while im hunting out of one though.

I haven't tried the ones from Menards. Most of the other inexpensive ladders I've hunted out of are not that sturdy, especially when climbing. They creek easily if your weight shifts and the main standing platform is away from the trunk causing you to be skylined. I categorized the previously mentioned models as these, my apologies. When bowhunting, these things are very important. Just like anything else, you get what pay for and ladder stands are no different. If you put enough ratchet straps on them, I'm sure they'll work just fine. I typically don't hunt out of ladder stands so I could be a bit biased. FWIW.

Stick I agree the noise and even quality isn't all that great and they can stick out if you don't camo them up a little or have good back cover but they can still be nice and I have a few in my stand arsenal.

I like use them in a few spots so I can sneak in and hunt fast when I don't have a lot of time to setup. If you climb slowly I can often manage to get up them with little to no noise. It might depend on the model too, I have a couple that don't make any noise but another kind I had to make a few small modification to keep them silent.

$40, that's a good price and buy as many as your budget will allow because the material alone is almost that much. Most of my stands are ladder stands and feel safer and more comforatable with them but you don't want to move them around to much.

mr

I have a couple of the "menards specials". We use them primarily as rifle stands, but bow hunt from them as well. They are also great for in the yard practicing shooting from height with all your gear on. @$40 why not?

I put them out and forget them. Repaint them with some spray paint when you first put em out. Camo in a can, brown, black, tan, green, strippy strippy. Toss on a cable lock to keep the honest people honest and away you go.

I will say that a better rachet strap is a good idea. And make sure you bring a cusion for your rear end, the steel mesh seat is hard for an extended stay on stand.

Going to grab a couple today as well. On a similar note, what cheap hanging stands are worth looking into? I have a couple OLD Gorillas and need to add some more to the fleet, looking for larger platforms as well.

I have two menards, of all the cheap ladder stands, they are the cheapest made. Mine is noisier than the other ladder stands i have bought of similar design. However, for the money, it gets the job done. I would not hesitate to buy another. I primarily bowhunt out of it.

I have a couple like the ones you bought. They are ok but being I like to stand most of the time I feel a little unsafe on them. I like the ones with arm rests and a shooting rail. When standing you have protection all around.

Quote:
I have a couple like the ones you bought. They are ok but being I like to stand most of the time I feel a little unsafe on them. I like the ones with arm rests and a shooting rail. When standing you have protection all around.

I agree, for the extra $20, I have begun to think its worth it.